• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders / Pet Shop Q's

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
Did any of you get your rabbits from breeders or pet shops? And is it really terrible if you do?

I'm just thinking surely babies from a breeder need rescuing too, otherwise they could end up being sold to any Tom D!ck or Harry? Unless the breeder does home checks of course, which I very much doubt.

Similarly what about the rabbits in P@H, what happens if they don't sell? Surely they need 'rescuing' from the shop.

The chances are that breeders aren't going to stop breeding and Pet shops aren't going to stop selling, so isn't it just as important to give those rabbits good homes??....... otherwise they may just end up at the rescue centre anyway!?!?

I'm not trying to start an argument or cause any hassle, I'm just genuinely interested in people's opinions.

The local breeder has a lovely set up and seems to really care for the rabbits. The rabbits I've seen at P@H seem well cared for and have large clean living accommodation with plenty of friends and food.

Just thinking out loud really.

The majority of mine are from petshops/breeder largely because I wasn't aware of so many rescue rabbits.

The theory behind buying from a breeder/petshop is that although these bunnies need a good home too you are essentially feeding the market because they will just replace the ones you've bought with new ones. If you get bunnies from a rescue centre they then have space to take it more needy bunnies.

It is also more expensive in the long run when buying from a pet shop. I pay around £40 for a neuter and £60 for a spay which most rescues would of already done for you.

My latest addition I took in from a family who could no longer care for her and it gives you a real safisfaction knowing you have done something good. If I ever get anymore bunnies they will definately be rescues.

I think the difference is that if you 'rescue' a bun from a pet shop or breeder, you'll be paying the supplier, who'll then go and breed more. If people stopped buying from these places they'd be no market, so they'd have to stop breeding them.

Taking each of your points in turn.

Did any of you get your rabbits from breeders or pet shops? And is it really terrible if you do?

It's a personal choice that people have to make for themselves after ensuring that they are aware of the facts.

I'm just thinking surely babies from a breeder need rescuing too, otherwise they could end up being sold to any Tom **** or Harry? Unless the breeder does home checks of course, which I very much doubt.

Breeders are producing rabbits as a 'commercial' product or as the 'by-product' of a commercial breeding programme to produce some particular characteristics. They know that their activities will produce rabbits. Many (but not all) are unconcerned about the rabbits' fate after the payment clears the bank. Some are actually concerned, but some go through the motions of offering 'changeover food and guidance note packs'.

Rabbit 'rescue' of their unwanted or excess stock is akin to low-cost waste disposal for them.

Similarly what about the rabbits in P@H, what happens if they don't sell? Surely they need 'rescuing' from the shop.

If they don't sell, many animal suppliers offer a 'sale or return' deal combined with replacement by new stock. Such suppliers often also sell rabbit/rodent meat for reptiles. One can guess at the source. Any animals 'rescued' will provide an income stream - albeit at a reduced price.

The chances are that breeders aren't going to stop breeding and Pet shops aren't going to stop selling, so isn't it just as important to give those rabbits good homes??....... otherwise they may just end up at the rescue centre anyway!?!?

The breeders and pet shops will continue for as long as the sales income exceeds the costs. If they stopped selling animals, there are still the numerous animals that are in rescue that people could 'rescue' and to which they could give good homes.

The local breeder has a lovely set up and seems to really care for the rabbits. The rabbits I've seen at P@H seem well cared for and have large clean living accommodation with plenty of friends and food.

I am pleased with these good examples. However, if you check out the threads you will find numerous examples of poor care, poor accommodation and animals with no friends and food.

Just an opinion.

My first bun was from a petshop purely because I didn't know about the thousands of rabbits in rescues, now I wouldn't buy from pet shops, as its just suppporting them....

Though I suppose if I saw a rabbit in a pet shop that was in a awful state I would probally consider 'rescuing' it :oops:

But I do agree that to stop the selling of rabbit in pet shops people need to stop buying them first

We got our two from PAH, but in retrospect I wish we had gone to a rescue as buying from a petshop just encourages more breeding. I think most people who buy from pet shops aren't going to be mean or horrible to their animals - but like us they are probably ignorant of the vast numbers of rabbits in rescues.

mine came from breeders,i did try a rescue but i have a giant dog thye never got back to me.:(
i have a friend that breeds but she doesnt rehome to anybody,she delivers all the babies to new homes and if accomadation isnt suitable she brings them home.got her into afew arguements but worth it:lol:

same here as a lot of people, didnt realise about bunny rescue so went to pet shops.

in terms of P@H, their older animals go into the rescue section. they have rescue animals there too. other places i think might euthanise.

P@H is probably the best pet shop I've ever been into. I dont agree pet shops should sell animals. thats just my personal opinion. but as they do, P@H is the best one. the gateshead one is so clean, the staff have a good basic knowledge, the girl who sold me Harvey told me about neutering, vaccinations, etc. none of their cages are tiny, the smallest is 4ft by 2ft, but they tell you this wont be big enough forever. The only fault i could find was she sold me a single rabbit.

I got Zero from a different P@H, totally different story. he was covered in pee stains, terrified and aggressive, i suspect (although of course i dont know) from bad handling or neglect. i was given no advice, the rabbit was just boxed up and i went. they were living in filth. i emailed P@H expressing my concerns and they forwarded the email to all the relevant managers and promised to look into it, said they are doing a refit soon and always let the RSPCA visit. i havent had a chance to go back in to see if changes have occurred.

the main thing i like about P@H is the rescue section, it makes rescuing animals more accessible. however they don't do homechecks, so...

pretty much every pet shop ive been in has been awful.

never visited a breeder but what i like about them better is that you cant just impulse buy there like you can in pet shops. however i have heard some horror stories. if i get more animals they will be rescues is all i can say.

Back