• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo checking- How long?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
For those of you who know about Jimby eating the foil wrapper, it has been 5 days now and I have not seen any more foil in his poops, I only found 2 tiny shards of it on Monday but none since, I am currently breaking up ALL of his poops to try and find any but how long should I continue for, dont want it to become some weird obsession!! :oops::lol:

If it was going to come out it would have done by now I should think. Indigestible fibrous waste is passed between 24-48 hours, but only about 24 hours with my two. The thing about foil wrappers is that very little of it is actually silvery foil, it may just be a thin coating that has already passed out, the rest may be dark and unrecognisable as foil. You may also have missed it if you didn't examine every poop at the outset. If he's ok in himself then i'm sure he's ok. :wave:

hey rachylou:wave: I agree with pretty Lupin, sorry I didn't answer again was a bit stressed out with Bobby being poorly! she is all better now tho... we are all a bit poop obsessed aren't we?

Thankyou, my hubby looks at me as though I am crazy when I sit there going through all his poops :lol:

He seems happy and is eating lots of hay, pooping nice fiberous poops and looks like himself.

Do you think if it is sitting in his tummy, it could cause problems somewhere down the line?

edit: forgot to say that since he ate it I have gone through ALL of his poops. :oops:

Last edited:
Thankyou, my hubby looks at me as though I am crazy when I sit there going through all his poops :lol:

He seems happy and is eating lots of hay, pooping nice fiberous poops and looks like himself.

Do you think if it is sitting in his tummy, it could cause problems somewhere down the line?

edit: forgot to say that since he ate it I have gone through ALL of his poops. :oops:

I doubt it would be in his tummy anymore. If it were anywhere I would expect it to be in his caecum by now. :? I'm afraid there is no real answer to that question, but I suspect he has already passed it. :)

Sorry, I thought I remembered you writing on your other thread that you missed a few poops at the beginning? That's the only reason I mentioned you might have missed it.

If it's any consolation Nino once munched a small glass bead when I was making a necklace! :shock: He ground it up pretty darn well in his teeth before swallowing and we never saw it again! He was fine. :D
(Glass grinds down to sand... I expect foil disintegrates also to some extent - they have powerful molars).

Many buns eat cardboard, paper, tissue etc.... not great for them but many seem to pass it all without any probs. Try not to worry, if it is in there there is nothing you can do anyway.

Nope I popped them in a sandwhich bag to show to the vets if need be but then I cracked on with breaking them up :oops:

I hope it is not going to cause a problem, the poor little lad has been through far too much already in his little life that would be all he needs :cry:

They will eat the most strangest of things!! and yet my other bun Carlo is scared of carrot:cry::lol:

But he will eat plastic:shock:

There again carrots are scary

Jims has eaten many many things in the past, his previous owner actually FED him tissues!! :evil::shock:
He has eaten duck tape, plastic, carpet, clothes, kitchen roll, cardboard hmm the list goes on... the only one which atually caused a problem was the cardboard.

Nope I popped them in a sandwhich bag to show to the vets if need be but then I cracked on with breaking them up :oops:

I hope it is not going to cause a problem, the poor little lad has been through far too much already in his little life that would be all he needs :cry:

I honestly think it will be fine! Its been a fair amount of time now so you would have noticed by now

I'm pretty sure he will be OK... when I was cleaning my girlie out the other week, I put her in one of the puppy pens and went out to do her litter tray. When I came back, I realised she'd forced the puppy pen outwards and had managed to reach the hay bag - she'd eaten some of the plastic bag that the hay was in. I panicked and managed to get a couple of small bits out of her mouth but I guess she swallowed the rest.

Kept my eye on her for a few days but she's been absolutely fine, and this was a few weeks ago now. These buns do scare us though! :roll:

I'm pretty sure he will be OK... when I was cleaning my girlie out the other week, I put her in one of the puppy pens and went out to do her litter tray. When I came back, I realised she'd forced the puppy pen outwards and had managed to reach the hay bag - she'd eaten some of the plastic bag that the hay was in. I panicked and managed to get a couple of small bits out of her mouth but I guess she swallowed the rest.

Kept my eye on her for a few days but she's been absolutely fine, and this was a few weeks ago now. These buns do scare us though! :roll:
:lol: Jims has done this too! :roll:

Back