• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use in your hutches?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I used to use carpet, but now i have had to remove it for some of the buns due to sore feet. They are now bedded on deep hay.

So i am curious as to what others use.

:wave:

We use a variety of things here depending on the mood when we are changing the hutch:lol:
Megasorb
Excel Bedown
Bed O linum (have to say this is fab)

No hutches, but a temp bun here has sore hocks. On your thread about sore hocks someone suggested a quilt - & it seems to be working:D:D:D There's rubber matting underneath then quilt, then hay. I would quite like to sleep there myself:D

No hutches, but a temp bun here has sore hocks. On your thread about sore hocks someone suggested a quilt - & it seems to be working:D:D:D There's rubber matting underneath then quilt, then hay. I would quite like to sleep there myself:D

thats great.

the hay has worked really well and seems to be keeping the problem at bay, aswell as excercise only on the grass. but Tiffany and Bo are really messy, since using the deep hay as a bed, they are barely using there litter trays. So i am thinking of giving the quilt idea a go :D Lottie and Albie are now on deep hay and they are doing fine, still using there litter trays so no complaints.

Well, Gabriel has sore hocks and he has newspaper in 2/3rd and then hay in the other, and he goes on grass during the day.
He'll soon be bonded and living in the kennel, so I'm going to have to save the pennies and line it with foam tiles.

I have lino (non-slip) on the floors of the hutches (easy to clean, too!), plus pieces of fleec blanket and piles of hay dotted around - the boys choose where they want to lie in the day (bedrooms are packed with hay for nigh time).

They also have carpet squares on the concrete of the aviary - not a big enough area to cause sore hocks, but big enough for two bunny bums to sit on if it's chilly!:)

Is carpet bad?

As my two are house buns they spend most of their time asleep, standing, running on carpet.

Is carpet bad?

Not necessarily. For a healthy, good weight rabbit it shouldn't cause to much probs. But in breed like rexes who have very few guard hairs on the hocks, overweight bunnies or those that have a previous history of sore hocks it can be quite abrasive.

Not necessarily. For a healthy, good weight rabbit it shouldn't cause to much probs. But in breed like rexes who have very few guard hairs on the hocks, overweight bunnies or those that have a previous history of sore hocks it can be quite abrasive.

my rabbits who are suffering arent rexes, arent overweight, so not always true ;)

no hutch as such but the hoppery is in the living room, with carpet then tarpaulin then a dust sheet then hay. their old cages are in there (open at one end) with mdf topped with carpet tiles on top, as they like to be on the roof - there's an extra piece to make a u-shape. one leg of the u has a folded fleece on top for additional softeness and warmth (and when the weather is bad, more fleeces to make cosy spaces). there's some slate at the back. oh, and megazorb in trays (7 but only two used for poo...one catches drips from an over-enthusiastic bottle) and inside cages, with more hay in the bedroom cage. fleeces cover the back of the bedroom cage and they push them aside to hop in and out. tabby has made a tent with fleeces, where she likes to hide. it looks tidier than it sounds. or it will tonight. :lol:

Bo and Tiffany are now on carpet with a duvet cover wrapped around it, his feet are much better too :wave:

Back