• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

"Thing" on the lower eyelid?

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi, I just noticed that my girl has what looks like a small a "zit" (but not...) on the lower eyelid. Like in the middle of the lower eyelid. It is like a small round zit like thing. Maybe 3 mm in size. It doesn't look like a wound. There is a little bit of white discharge coming from the eye itself but the eye itself does not look injured in anyway. The insides of her eyes look nice and normal in color.

Could it be that she has scratched herself? I just cleaned the eye with some warm water which she seems to enjoy. Should I clean it with something else? Like iodine solution etc?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Sandra :wave:

Hi, I just noticed that my girl has what looks like a small a "zit" (but not...) on the lower eyelid. Like in the middle of the lower eyelid. It is like a small round zit like thing. Maybe 3 mm in size. It doesn't look like a wound. There is a little bit of white discharge coming from the eye itself but the eye itself does not look injured in anyway. The insides of her eyes look nice and normal in color.

Could it be that she has scratched herself? I just cleaned the eye with some warm water which she seems to enjoy. Should I clean it with something else? Like iodine solution etc?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Sandra :wave:

It sounds like an ingrown eyelash which has formed a little spot :?

My male bun, and i'm sorry about this next bit!... got an ingrown hair and a spot on his willy! :shock::lol: Vet had to lance the spot and remove the ingrown hair with a pair of tweezers, some disinfectant on the area, a course of antibiotics and it all cleared up no probs.
I would pop bun to the vet to check this one - it might not go away on its own and it could be something else such as an actual eye infection. I should think either way a course of antibiotics may be needed :wave:

Eek just realised you are Sandra in Jordan and your vet is in Israel?! Ahhh... does your bun have any history of snuffles? Abcesses can occur anywhere on the body with things like pasturella. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think this 'spot' is going to need checking by a vet.

Oh dear :( I took some pictures of it

Mus2.jpg

Mus3.jpg

Mus1.jpg

Will send them to my vet in Israel asap. We were planning to take both buns to her in 3 weeks time for a general check up but I guess we will have to change our plans. Will see what she says.

She has never had any snuffle symptoms and she has never gotten any medication for anything (Inshallah as they say here...). A week and a half ago buns got their myxo and VHD vaccinations. A part from the eye thing she is seems frisky and happy.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but it could be a pasturella abcess. I hope it is something far simpler like an ingrown hair. Good luck :)

Hi, my vet thought that it might just be an impacted gland in the eyelid and that a warm water compresses sounds like a great idea. She told me to keep a close eye :))) on it during the afternoon/night to see if it gets red, or larger or changes. If so we will take prompt action.

Thanks!

Hi, today the eye looks the same, although the thing does not look as pink. It has not become more red, more swollen or bigger. And there is no discharge from it today. :)

Thank you,
Sandra

:wave: I just want an excuse to say Hi, & that I hope things are going well with you & yours.
Sorry I missed all the action. Yep it looks like a "stye" to me = minor infection of a hair follicle. I hope that the warm bathes have sorted it out for you.
With every good wish.

:wave: I just want an excuse to say Hi, & that I hope things are going well with you & yours.
Sorry I missed all the action. Yep it looks like a "stye" to me = minor infection of a hair follicle. I hope that the warm bathes have sorted it out for you.
With every good wish.

I get them all the time and they look just like that actually. Has it gone away yet? or gone down?

Back