• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting behaviour

DoctorPhil

New Kit
I have 2 house rabbits - a 2 year old dwarf lop (Horace) and 18 month old mini lop (Millie).

Both of them were neutered as soon as old enough and they were successfully bonded and have been living quite happily together for over a year, sharing a cage and litter box. They spent most of their time snuggled up together snoozing, or grooming each other.

I don't know what has caused the change, but Horace has started to mount Millir very determinedly and won't let it go.

I don't think there is any malice involved - they still appear to be friends, but he is pulling fur from her back, and she has a little bald patch now.

Any ideas what might have caused the change of behaviour, and what we can do to discourage this?

Thanks, Phil

I have 2 house rabbits - a 2 year old dwarf lop (Horace) and 18 month old mini lop (Millie).

Both of them were neutered as soon as old enough and they were successfully bonded and have been living quite happily together for over a year, sharing a cage and litter box. They spent most of their time snuggled up together snoozing, or grooming each other.

I don't know what has caused the change, but Horace has started to mount Millir very determinedly and won't let it go.

I don't think there is any malice involved - they still appear to be friends, but he is pulling fur from her back, and she has a little bald patch now.

Any ideas what might have caused the change of behaviour, and what we can do to discourage this?

Thanks, Phil

My girls are doing this too so hopefully someone will provide some advice :oops:

Claire xx

Hi Phil,

If its just mounting and its not annoying the other bun to much it sounds very much like a touch of spring fever in which case it will subside. Have you ever noticed this behaviour in them before at this time of year? Just keep an eye on it that it doesn't escalate, but I don't expect it will. Even my extreamly loved up couples chase and mount at this time of year.

Back