• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sitting in the rain with a slug on your head - worrying behaviour?

DeeAisha

Young Bun
The two rescue buns are settling in nicely in their new home. It's a chicken coop so they have an upstairs enclosed 'bedroom' and a run, which they have access to at all times. It's piddled it down with rain all day today - we were both out at work all day, my husband got home before me and reported that Daffodil was sensibly up in the bedroom but Dandelion was sitting out in the rain. He was still sitting in it when I got home at 7pm - and he had a baby slug crawling on his head.:shock:

I bought him in and dried him off (got a sneaky snuggle too - they're not tame but he seemed to quite enjoy it and had a sneaky nibble of my dress!). He seems OK - a bit sedate maybe, but that could just be fear of being held/towelled off.

I know he's a rabbit. I know they live outside in the wild. But please reassure me - sitting outside in the rain is OK, yes? Bit stupid, but if he's happy... I don't know what to think about the slug...

D x

From reading other posts on here lots of bunnies seem happy to sit out in rain.:) Not sure about not moving for so long tho, maybe someone more experienced could help?:D

I guess they don't eat slugs, like dogs do occaisionally, but I keep seeing adverts about slugs/snails and heartworm risks. Not sure about bunnies and this risk though. :?

Edit: A quick google seems to say rabbits and guinea pigs aren't susceptible to heartworm disease. Ferrets are though.

Last edited:
My two don't like the rain, but thats because they are house buns I think:wave:

Bobby would have eaten the slug I am sure... Carlo would have groomed it:roll:

steve sits out in all weather, so much so i had to do an emergancy set up in the shed at midnight because he was sat out in a snow storm in -6 weather! :roll: i gave up worrying about the rain after that. they will be fine as long as there is somewhere to go if they want to get out of the rain.

I sometimes have to pick baby slugs out of their fur, but it's usually on their underside than on their head :roll:

My two love rain but do go in when its torrential which is often in Auckland :lol:
Never had to pick slugs off them though!

Where I live there are heaps of wildie buns (well, there used to be) and they vastly prefer rainy weather. My theory is that they feel safer from preditors. I'd keep a very close eye on him today though, just incase there's a reason he was quiet. :)

At least your bun's not a wuss, like mine: not only does she hate the rain, she comes scurrying into the house when the wind ruffles her fur - and stamps because somehow it's my fault!:)
re. slug - your on your own there!

Rain didn't seem to bother Snowy much either. Although she had shelter it was as if she preferred getting soaked?? She was quite smart - I think she knew that if she waited long enough I would come out to get her. When I had finally caught her I used to think I had won. In hindsight she managed to get both myself & my husband soaked and covered in mud - I think she won!

Much to my alarm I have seen Snowy chase cats out of my garden, however for a feisty little lady she could NOT stand slugs!! She would thump repeatedly if any were to get into her hutch (usually between 2 and 3am!!!) and would not stop until the slug had been evicted. :lol:

Back