• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No Pooing or Eating

Lexii2k10

New Kit
My rabbit (Noir) had her eye removed 2 days ago after an accident. She stayed at the vets all day and we took her home on the night. The vet said she had been nibbling on her food. When we got her home she was just resting after the anesthetic. But yesterday she was laid out on her side. i took her to the vets and they gave her a painkiller and a jab to get her gut working. He also gave me a powder to mix into water so i can syringe it into her mouth she has taken a bit of it but not a lot. There are no droppings and weeing after 24 hours also i gave her some grass which she nibbled at but nothing like she would normally eat. Any idea what will get my rabbit pooing eating and drinking again? Please help. Thank You

So sorry about your bun. You could try soaking the pellets in water, make them mushy and a little basil or banana, whatever is your buns fav to see if that helps, the water in it will also help with hydration.
If you think bun is in pain keep getting the pain relief from the vet, I have no personal experience and sure someone will come along soon, just keep trying tempting things slowly along with hay, you could try a saucer with water to see if bun prefers that.
I guess it will take a good few days due to the nature of the Op.
Hope this helps a little ...sending get well vibes for your bun :D

My rabbit (Noir) had her eye removed 2 days ago after an accident. She stayed at the vets all day and we took her home on the night. The vet said she had been nibbling on her food. When we got her home she was just resting after the anesthetic. But yesterday she was laid out on her side. i took her to the vets and they gave her a painkiller and a jab to get her gut working. He also gave me a powder to mix into water so i can syringe it into her mouth she has taken a bit of it but not a lot. There are no droppings and weeing after 24 hours also i gave her some grass which she nibbled at but nothing like she would normally eat. Any idea what will get my rabbit pooing eating and drinking again? Please help. Thank You

The meds she had yesterday will have worn off by now. If she has not poo'd or wee'd at all she needs re-admitting to the Vets ASAP

Can you call the Vet now for advice ?

I have soaked her pellets in water just now and she has nibbled on them. i have called the vet and they are closed so they said bring her in tomorrow to get some jabs. do you think i should let nature takes its cause after this or keep trying after what my bunny has gone through? thank you so much

Your Vet should have out of hours cover.

It sounds as though your Rabbit is in pain and in need of more analgesia aswell as assisted feeds and fluids. Personally I could not leave her all night with no pain relief :cry:

I have soaked her pellets in water just now and she has nibbled on them. i have called the vet and they are closed so they said bring her in tomorrow to get some jabs. do you think i should let nature takes its cause after this or keep trying after what my bunny has gone through? thank you so much

Again no experience but I think there is a forum member with a bun with one eye? I don't see why your bun shouldn't recover, it'll take a little bit of work and care from you re encouraging her feeding/nursing etc and hopefully in a few more days you will see signs of improvements, :D

Your Vet should have out of hours cover.

It sounds as though your Rabbit is in pain and in need of more analgesia aswell as assisted feeds and fluids. Personally I could not leave her all night with no pain relief :cry:

Some very good advice, buns can go downhill very quickly if not tended to..please ring the emergency vet.

I guess its back to work again for me im taking her to the vets for a painkiller. But its £120 to walk in! but its definatley worth it for my bunny. She is 6 now is she getting a bit old for all of the treatment? x thanks everyone

I guess its back to work again for me im taking her to the vets for a painkiller. But its £120 to walk in! but its definatley worth it for my bunny. She is 6 now is she getting a bit old for all of the treatment? x thanks everyone

Keep on with treatment...where ever there's a will there's a way!

Rabbits can live a lot longer than 6 - she could have another 4 or more years yet. :)

Lots of vibes for your poorly bun' - I hope she'll be ok.

She should bounce back once the pain issues and the guts are sorted out:)

She will need pain meds and also perhaps some syringe feeding if you can or they can, and DEFINITELY subcutaneous fluids by now.

Fluids are vital!

Six is not old at all - mere middle aged! Our 9 year old just came through having a kidney out!

She should bounce back once the pain issues and the guts are sorted out:)

She will need pain meds and also perhaps some syringe feeding if you can or they can, and DEFINITELY subcutaneous fluids by now.

Fluids are vital!

Six is not old at all - mere middle aged! Our 9 year old just came through having a kidney out!

Aaaww bless :love::love:

But its £120 to walk in!

This is normal for emergency vets. We have done it many times, sometimes you have no choice, if you leave it overnight you could lose your bunny. When you see your bunny recovered and happy you will realise how worth it those extra few pounds are. :D

I agree re. fluids given by the vet under the skin, pain relief and either bun staying overnight with the vets to be syringe fed or you bring bun home and just press on with doing it yourself. You get the hang of it eventually I promise. Good luck, hope bun is ok and your app went well. :)

Noir went to the vets today again thank you for all of your help she had anouther gut jab and started nibbling on an apple thank you so much for your help!!! x

Back