• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shedding

Ceretrea

Warren Scout
Wasn't sure where this should go.

Considering house bunnies and I have forgotten a fundamental issue.

Just how often do house bunnies with no central heating shed their fur? With the kiddies asthma, its actually one of the most important questions *doh*

If there will be handfuls of fur coming out with every stroke..well its a bit of a crippling problem with the whole darn plan.

Mine shed about twice a year i think, although we do have central heating, and the january/february moult really is quite subtantial with alot of fur being shed - in fact Joejoe changes colour from jet black to a browny/gingery colour :lol: Regular brushing a few times a day helps stop it wafting about so much, and it only takes a couple of minutes, but you're still going to get some unfortunately.

Apparently exposure to pet hair, dust and general bacteria can help prevent asthma but i don't know if it would help it once someone already had it or if it would be a definite no-no?...

i find the hair a big problem. my mini lops have very dense coats. they shed all the time but moult is a really bad time with hair everywhere. i was in despair a couple of weeks ago, there was hair on everything and i couldn't get rid of it.

Although there are true moults buns shed all the time.
Many people find rabbits extremely allergenic.
Have your kids had allergy testing? It would be a shame for all concerned if you were to get buns & the kids asthma ended up getting worse.
"Kids were allergic" is a really common reason for animals to end up in shelters :(
Sorry to be a party pooper :oops: but worthwhile checking it out before you commit.

One of our house buns does 4 true moults a year as is the norm, with minor moults in between. Our other house bun moults continuously! :roll: Fur can be controlled by regular brushing of your bunnies (outside) and using a lint roller on clothes and a decent hoover (we use a dyson).
My OH is asthmatic and to be honest his allergy is more to the hay than the rabbits fur - this is normally the case with people who find they are allergic to rabbits. It can be the proteins in their saliva which is on their fur of course, but more commonly it is a grass allergy to all the hay.

Although there are true moults buns shed all the time.
Many people find rabbits extremely allergenic.
Have your kids had allergy testing? It would be a shame for all concerned if you were to get buns & the kids asthma ended up getting worse.
"Kids were allergic" is a really common reason for animals to end up in shelters :(
Sorry to be a party pooper :oops: but worthwhile checking it out before you commit.

Its hard to be a party pooper when this was the whole point of the post :? lol

Yes I am well aware of the reasons given for handing bunnies into rescue.again, hence the reason for this post :roll:

I haven't allergy tested the kids, its not an allergy I'm worried about..its my daughters asthma and I have already seen that bunny fur will most likely cause her to have breathing problems :( i still can't believe I even researched the effects of dust free hay on asthma without even considering this issue first :roll:

So after all that planning, researching and all. There'll be no bunnies here :cry:

Back