• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny needs a diet!

crysta

Alpha Buck
So go on, people, give me your bunny slimming tips. :lol:

I have a gorgeous cinnamon Rex doe who was given to me on the condition that I get her fat bottom down to an appropriate size.

I will take pics shortly but she is definitely overweight - I had her in my arms for ten minutes and they were falling off!

Exercise is a given, of course, any other suggestions?

I've only just got her, but she'll be going on the eggcup of pellets and the odd bit of veg diet that the other one's on. No treats until she drops a bit - she's a right chubber!

Is she the one you have just posted pics of over in 'Photos' ?

If so she doesn't look overweight to me :?

I got her mid-stride in that photo - when she sits still she's chunky. I'll take better photos when my housemate gets back and I can have a proper camera instead of a dodgy phone. :roll:

It's very easy to get an over weight bun,especially when they are greedy boogers! My girl is a cross lop/lion head and weighs 6.30 kilos.I have to wash her bum every other day.however I'm really reducing her feed,but madam still looks the same...sigh!:roll:

I've just taken on an bunny who needs to trim down. I've reduced her food but I've been doing it gradually as I think if they lose weight to fast it can cause problems.

Obviously having room to move around is good but if they're lazy and/or overweight, they still might not hop about much.

I get my buns running around the flat after me whilst I hold their pellets in my hand. We run up and down and then I hide Bob's (the chubster) in 4 different places around the living room - that way it gets him moving round that little bit more. :)

rexes are norm 2.8- 4.1kgs winston has to stay at bottom end for his bad feet. But he gets about 8 nuggets morn and then night and big handful of greens morn/night and cabbage leaf for din. As much hay as he can eat.
Sounds cruel but reduce nuggets to hardly any and weight will fall off no probs. Although they do go up and down very easy.

Pea and Pod are porkers. They get *4* SS mature pellets each per day as a treat :shock: with the remainder of their diet being fresh veg twice daily and as much hay and grass as they can eat. The weight is gradually coming off at around 100g per month to two months.

Back