• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post Neuter Advice, please help :)

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Cass is back from his neuter :) he was fine, tucked straight into his veg when he got in. BUT the vet only tried to syringe feed him, she didnt even try to get him to eat pellets :evil: is this standard procedure? She was unsuccessful at this.

He has a buster collar, and has been given painkillers.

U/D - Cass has not been passing, he has eaten some veg, I rang the vets and they told me to syringe feed him, and that if i brought him in it would cost £90 even though post op checks are meant to be free and i have had one free before from them.

I syringe fed him and he livened up but he is now lying in his cage looking sad.

U/D 2 - Cass has passed! (almost rhymes ha) a very small caecotroph. is this good or bad?

U/D 3 - He has some little round poos now and most of his carrot is gone, hasn't had much to drink but has been eating hay. He is definitely more lively, I have to go to work soon and leave him :( but I'm not as worried now. just as worried as I always am about the buns. will give him his veg this morning they dont normally get it til the afternoon so they have all morning to eat hay/pellets. Fingers crossed he will soon be completely himself again!

Last edited:
Hey hey, So glad he's back and troughing.

A gut stimulant is a good thing and should be used. Its given to kick start there guts moving again after the GA and make sure everything is 'flowing' all nice :D

A collar can stop them eating their 'special poos' and can freak them a bit. Generally they'll leave a couple of external stitches for the buns to worry but it shouldn't affect the wound healing.

I haven't found anywhere great to get hay in Ncle so I get it online at Hay Experts, they've always been good and the quality has never been iffy. If you're just looking to get stuff like the excel herbage or forage I know Jolleys does it (along with readigrass and some other bits) and they are up near westerhope, otherwise the vets are a good place in emergencies.

I always found that the best hay I've had is greenish and smells sweet, i did get burns hay once that smelled foisty and when I checked it actually was mouldy :shock:

If you're still worried about Cass tomo, Neil is open till 6:30, I can run you up there if you like?

thank you so much you've been a great help :)

I will try Hay Experts, I like to see things before I buy them so I'm not a fan of internet shopping but there doesnt seem to be much available up here.

I'm not worried about Cass, just a bit annoyed they were syringe feeding him and not even TRYING the pellets. He hates having his mouth and nose touched, so much so that I was worried he might have dental problems, and I told her this and asked her to check him, she said he's ok, but then tried to syringe feed him :evil: maybe ive just decided to find fault with everything they do though :oops:

thanks so much for offering though :)

Hey hey, So glad he's back and troughing.

A gut stimulant is a good thing and should be used. Its given to kick start there guts moving again after the GA and make sure everything is 'flowing' all nice :D

A collar can stop them eating their 'special poos' and can freak them a bit. Generally they'll leave a couple of external stitches for the buns to worry but it shouldn't affect the wound healing.

I haven't found anywhere great to get hay in Ncle so I get it online at Hay Experts, they've always been good and the quality has never been iffy. If you're just looking to get stuff like the excel herbage or forage I know Jolleys does it (along with readigrass and some other bits) and they are up near westerhope, otherwise the vets are a good place in emergencies.

I always found that the best hay I've had is greenish and smells sweet, i did get burns hay once that smelled foisty and when I checked it actually was mouldy :shock:

If you're still worried about Cass tomo, Neil is open till 6:30, I can run you up there if you like?

When i went there for Pye's tum they constantly tried to tell me to give him tummy rubs regardless of how much I told them he hated being picked up and HATED having his tum touched even when he was fine :?

On the plus side they gave him the stimulant and got him eating which is good. So glad he's eating on his own, sounds like he's doing well :)

Try a sample pack from hay experts, they do a great selection and my two will eat most of their hay. I always get the Timothy and oat, wheat and barley which I've never had any problems with, Lisa is a goodun and if you did have any bother I'm sure she would sort it, its not like some of the big websites you can come across, you actually get personal responses by email and the delivery service is fab!

I'm working on Riders North in Shiremoor, Michael who owns it is slowly expanding his rabbit section and is good for ordering stuff in if I ask nicely!! I'll let you know if I convince him to stock some good hay, they are a horse shop mainly so it shouldn't be too hard!!

Is Cass named after theCastiel????? mmm Dean :love:

Oh I so hope so or I'm gonna look like a right tard now!!

Of course!!! I have a dwarf hamster called Dean!! he is a winter white :lol: so glad you understand haha. I don't get living TV so i have been getting people to sky+ it for me and then video it it's all been so complicated! cant wait til the box set comes out.

I suggested the name as a joke but it just stuck it really suits him.

yeah, he's the same as Zero, they both came back and started eating straight away. sometimes I leave there feeling completely reassured and confident in them, but sometimes I don't. Like you said, I always see someone different, and I find the male vets in particular a bit clueless about buns.

AWSOME!!! Oh I so love it, episode 20 is on tonight so I'm super excited!! I'll post you some on DVD if you like, let me know what season you're on!

No Sammy, Ruby or Bobby then!! or are they the next family members!!

PS I want a pic of your Dean now!!!

DSCI0140.jpg

:D:D:love::love:

haha the last episode I saw was when Ellen and her daughter (Jo?) died. the hellhounds and reapers.

I would love a Ruby and a Bobby, will have to see how Sam turns out before I go commiting to naming an animal after him I wasn't liking him up to the bit I've seen!!!

Just noticed Cass isn't pooing :( he's been home since 5. so might be going to gosforth with him if he hasnt passed anything by 9.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love: He's as cute as the real thing!!!!

Sammy is erm, an interesting one!! But if you can't name one Sam then Ruby is a def no no!!! I cried when Jo and Ellen died:oops:

Has Castiel passed anything? he's had a gut stimulant and is eating so try not to panic, it takes Pye and age to come round from a GA. Try phoning them and find out when he had his stimulant and see whether they can give him anything else tonight.

me too, not as much as when Dean died though. Suppose that turned out all right in the end though!!

you know something I don't!!! don't tell me haha. I liked Ruby, I always like the bad guys. but sam is pretending to be a good guy :? and taking focus away from dean!

i'm going to ring them soon, Zero took a little bit of time to come round, Harvey was pooing like mad before he even left the vet :) he's indestructible. do you think i should wait a bit longer before i ring them? or just ring them now? i'm going to go and give him a little check. he has been eating, mainly veg not his pellets though.

im filling a basket for them on the hay experts :lol: they have oxbow yeyeyey mine are on burgess but im not that impressed with it.

He's eating which hopefully means everything is moving but give them a ring if you are worried, make them earn that big fat wage! They may tell you to wait as he's had meds and he's eating but there's no harm in asking when it comes to buns mate x

:oops: I'm about 10 episodes ahead of you!!! Doin't get me wrong, my heart is with Mr ackles always but you gotta feel for Sammy, he got turned at 6 months!!! Oh when Dean died and you saw him strung up in hell
:shock: my heart sank!! but you can't keep a man like that down!!!

hey Castiel :wave: you are named after an angel, a very brave and handsome one at that, now stop worrying your mummy and eat and poop! you have to stop the apocalypse, this is no time to be feeling sorry for yourself! I know you've had a crappy day and those nasty vets went and stole some of you but you have to try very hard and get better now you're in a fab new home, your new mummy told me that if you get yourself better she'll buy you looooaaads of treats!

:lol::lol: he's had kale but he doesnt seem keen, my others LOVE kale.

It must be pretty traumatising to have your man parts taken haha. I know maybe I should be training him in demon fighting. Taking him to those Supernatural conventions. Oh. My. God. Maybe I really should take him to one.

I know, I did used to like him, but.. hmm.. he's getting better I guess. maybe he will surprise me!

I have pics of Harvey and Zero in the introductions page on here :) none of Cass yet he's looking too grumpy to have a flash in his face

:shock::shock::shock: What if his grace was in his man bits!! :shock::shock::shock::shock: Quick, circle of salt!!!

It must be hard, even for an angel, to get a new home and loose his grace in a short time, poor little thing, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him xxx

oh no! I'll put a circle of salt around him and avoid holy fires.

I just rang the vets, and she said to syringe feed him, and if we take him down now it will be £90 even though it is a post op check and we were told they were free and have had one free out-of-hours before :evil: so angry! and they couldnt syringe feed him so how can we??? definitely changing vets now.

do you think he will be ok until tomorrow even if he hasn't pooped? obviously if i get very concerned i'll take him in, he's just kind of hunched up looking miserable, think he's groggy, obviously it's hard to tell because i havent had him very long.

im going to go and attempt it now, I'll let you know how it goes

Before I say anything i have to do a SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at Harvey and Zero!!!

It may be that he's just getting used to everything that has happened, he's been thru a lot in a shirt time so he's gonna take a bit to settle.

Try him with some cooled boiled water in a bowl and try giving him some moistened pellets and some bits of treats to get him interested. If he's not used to veg then he may not show the interest your other two do. If he's eating its good, just keep an eye on him and keep him warm.

If anyone else is reading this (sorry it did slip into a two way chat :oops:) is there anything else to suggest for little Cass??

haha i know sorry :oops:

thank you :D they are lovely arent they!!

Just syringe fed Cass, was surprisingly easy, vet obviously didnt try that hard :? I will moisten his pellets as well. I just took a lovely pic of Cass with his cone off while I was syringing him but can't find my camera cable :oops: silly me lol

I love Pye and Pudding btw :) so lovely neth dwarves get a bad rep I don't know why I think they're adorable!!

Oh well thats really good, if you can keep adding to his food intake with the recovery without stressing him then brilliant.

Has he done anything since he's been home? I'm always a bit worried about overloading them in one end if its not coming out the other esp with Pye having a bad tummy in the past. definitely try the moistened pellets and tepid water.

Find the cable woman!!

Back