• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

thistles - safe or not?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
are thistles safe for bunny tums and guinea pig bellies? i noticed earlier that someone has been chomping. the remains of the thistle are at the side of one of my piggy runs so either a cheeky wheeker has snaffled it through the bars or somebun had a nibble whilst they were free-ranging:?

From the top of my head they're OK for buns. There certainly isn't a poisonous no-no in the thistle family like buttercup etc.

thank you:D
i have an incling it was my very greedy eleanor piggly:? no harm done anyway and i've inspected the poops:D

watched beth nibble a long dried stick of one yesterday was so comical as the stick was twirling round as she ate it, and no way was she shareing this 8 inch long stick with doc either thorns an all :shock::lol:

you mean I've spent HOURS of my precious time till 1am picking tiny bits of thistle out of hay FOR NOTHING???!!!!! :shock: DOH!!! :lol:

you mean I've spent HOURS of my precious time till 1am picking tiny bits of thistle out of hay FOR NOTHING???!!!!! :shock: DOH!!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

*pssssst Elve your in rabbit chat :p :lol::lol::lol:

i threw 2 bags away and complained to the supplier (who replaced it no probs). mind you, that was more to do with me putting my hands in the bag - ouch:shock: (and of course not wanting little piggy feet to get spiky - esp as edgar pig tends to often get hay stuck up his doot .... imagine a thistle there!:oops:).

*pssssst Elve your in rabbit chat :p :lol::lol::lol:

:oops: yep it's YOUR fault with your bunnies and all :love: The 'thistle' word caught my eye - I feel my life for the past 3 days has been consumed by THISTLES :evil:

But I am made up this morning, cos although it's never come before late afternoon before - the fresh hay came at 10am this morning! :p It's a miracle! :p Means I don't have to spend an hour sorting the girls hay and I can come on RU instead - a very good use of the time saved :lol:

I did used to complain about the bad hay, and get free boxes sent to me, but I find it an ordeal phoning them and having to chat, so I just waste my money now - how unassertive and timid of me :oops: Plus in between the teeny fragments of agony, there is wonderful hay - they're loving it! I'm on the bottom leaf now - which has made me realise where the saying 'to turn over a new leaf' comes from! :shock:

Back