• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Convincing techniques

Hi, haven’t been on here in a while as I kind of forgot the website.

I need some convincing techniques! I am still going on to my dad about building a bigger rabbit cage/run for the rabbits I already have which is taking longer to get started then I originally thought. But I would really like to adopt another rabbit or maybe 2 but I think that’s pushing it at the moment. The only problem I have is convincing my mum… I have brought the idea up once and she went oh god no more rabbits its bad enough with are two! Its not that bad they cost use about 15pound every 6 weeks. I use my horses bedding as they’re bedding, give them water everyday, a bowl of hard feed and a bit of hay for them to munch on as they mostly eat grass and are happy with that. I don’t see how one little rabbit would make a big difference?!

Any ideas on convincing my mum that another rabbit would be great and not another pet that costs money. im a bit stuck.

Trust me I have the EXACT same problem. Everytime I bring it up its 'I think you have enough as it is' :lol: :lol: Um I tried the sympathy vote ;) 'But there are so many rabbits in rescue and we could help by looking after one more AND it wouln't be much more work for me'

Unfortuantly it didn't really work for me :roll:
but I'm still trying :lol: :lol:

Just remember they do cost alot of money to keep (hay, food, veg) then if you factor in vet bills...it builds up. So make sure you can manage another pair :)

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Rabbits are not cheap pets. I spend about £20/30 a week on veg for mine, alone....not to mention everything else.

Have you factored in jabs and other veterinary care that the new bun might need?
(I'm not trying to put you off, but just putting it out there that they're not cheap pets. I spend more on one bun as my mum does on her cat.)

Would you be bonding the new bun or would they be separate to begin with?

All I can really suggest is research, research and research! ;) When you leave for Uni it'll be your mum to look after them, so the decision should ultimately be hers.

Good luck! :)

I don't give my rabbits veg there only supposed to be fed as a treat every now and then..? That's what my vet advised. I don't pay for there bedding either I just use my horses bedding for there bedding so I don't spend any money there. I just buy them a huge bag of rabbit:shock: food every 6 weeks and a bit of hay. They cost hardly anything. Jabs are not a problem my two are on yearly jabs which I pay for.

I do plan to keep them together but will have to get them to bond first ofcourse. I don't have to worry about my mum looking after them while I'm at collage I'm only there 3 days a week and will be home in the mornings and of an evening so that's fine to.

Last edited:
How much hay do you give them?

My 4 eat me out of house and home :shock: and I use megazorbe from my pony :lol:

Well thumpa don't really touch the hay she likes the rabbit food and grass and only eats hay if she's run out of rabbit food. Rascal likes it then again he preferes the rabbit food he normally pulls all hay out of the rack and sleeps on it! I do a little bag of hay every week and a half maybe 2 weeks depending on how much they eat.

I feed veg. every day to my two - it's part of their diet. Hay is their main diet with a few pellets but they get an earthenware rabbit dish full every day which they absolutely love. It gives them some variety.

It isn't the 'running costs' that add up with buns' - it's the 'possible' costs in terms of vet bills which can run into the hundreds or more. So a lot to think about....

What quality hay do you use? Mine are really fussy and won't touch the cheaper hay I put under the good quality hay.

buns should eat at least their body size in hay a day. Maybe you should try them out on different types. Some prefer it to be stalky, some prefer softer hay. It's essential for gut mobility!

I normally buy the pets at home hay. I have tried horse hay as well (I no there not supposed to have it but thumpa is quite fussy) and they did eat quite a lot of it! Rascal ate a lot of it thumpa ate a bit but still she eats more hard feed. I haven’t fed them horse hay since I do stick to rabbit hay.

See I was told by my vet not to give them veg everyday, as it’s not normal in their diet. He said most rabbits live on grass and natural bushes plants etc he also said how often do you see wild rabbits eating carrots or cabbage because its not available to them.

Back