PDA

View Full Version : Mites or reaction to Myxi

Becca24
29-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Is what the vet had said.

I have just back from the vets because last night I noticed 3 small lumps on the back of Pip's neck, couldnt see anything but you certainly feel them. This morning when I checked them one of them had more of a scab on top and was a little red so I decided to take him to vets to be sure.

The vet thinks it is mites or a reaction to the myxi jab???? I got het to check for ear mites but there are none and the ears all look ok. At the moment it has been left that we will see how they go over the next few days (apparently they can sort themselves) and if they get worse or anything then will start a course of injections for mites!

So my questions are:

Has anyone had any experience with mites?
What do they look likes should I be able to see them?
Will the lumps itch?
How can I prevent them - vet said I cant??

The other things I spoke to the vet about were Panacur and VHD jab.

Panacur - vet advises not to use unless treating for EC
VHD jab - they use the cylab(sp) and havent had any cases of reactions to this, I expressed my concern and said I would prefer to use the other one which she said would have to be ordered in, did I do the right thing??

Long post sorry, but all advice/opinions needed please!

Thanks

yvette
29-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Is what the vet had said.

I have just back from the vets because last night I noticed 3 small lumps on the back of Pip's neck, couldnt see anything but you certainly feel them. This morning when I checked them one of them had more of a scab on top and was a little red so I decided to take him to vets to be sure.

The vet thinks it is mites or a reaction to the myxi jab???? I got het to check for ear mites but there are none and the ears all look ok. At the moment it has been left that we will see how they go over the next few days (apparently they can sort themselves) and if they get worse or anything then will start a course of injections for mites!

So my questions are:

Will the lumps itch?

VHD jab - they use the cylab(sp) and havent had any cases of reactions to this, I expressed my concern and said I would prefer to use the other one which she said would have to be ordered in, did I do the right thing??

Thanks

Mites are likely to be the Walking Dandruff type,IMO.
Leave flaky skin and fur falls out leaving bald or short fur down body of bunny.
They can be looked at by a microscope..Horrible looking things!! Ivermectin is good stuff!!!
Cylap inj...the bunny may well react to this.The site where the needle goes in maybe inflammed.
My 2 buns reacted to myxi with a bit of quiet laying down.Having said that it may have been the journey!!!!
The vet is right about Panacur.My vet said the same.Hope Ive been some help.xxxx

Becca24
29-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Mites are likely to be the Walking Dandruff type,IMO.
Leave flaky skin and fur falls out leaving bald or short fur down body of bunny.
They can be looked at by a microscope..Horrible looking things!! Ivermectin is good stuff!!!
Cylap inj...the bunny may well react to this.The site where the needle goes in maybe inflammed.
My 2 buns reacted to myxi with a bit of quiet laying down.Having said that it may have been the journey!!!!
The vet is right about Panacur.My vet said the same.Hope Ive been some help.xxxx

Do you think the vet should have gave me some Ivermectin to use instead of just seeing how it goes! If it them mites would there be lumps too or just dandruff?

prettylupin
29-04-2010, 03:42 PM

So my questions are:

Will the lumps itch?

Thanks

Cheyletiella mites normally present as white 'walking dandruff' around the base of the neck but can occur anywhere down the back (along the spine) and around the base of the back/top of the tail. You should be able to see them under a microscope if a skin scrape is taken, but often the mites themselves can be visible as flaky white dandruff. There is often a loss of fur (in bad cases) and can also be red/sore broken skin.
Cheyletiella mites are thought to commonly exist as a population on most rabbits, but the rabbit's immune system controls the population, as does grooming. When bun is immune suppressed (following/during illness) the mite populations can multiply out of control. They rarely take care of themselves at this point and the use of Ivermectin as a course over 6 weeks (3 doses) (injection or spot on) is required.

You can't really prevent them if they exist on most buns anyway, but you may be able to prevent overload of the system by using hay that does not come from a farm with an infestation, and if bun has a mite population out of control, disinifecting the hutch/washing bedding should reduce the load in the environment to help bun get back in control of the mites, esp alongside Ivermectin treatment.

I have not heard of mites presenting as lumps under the skin? I should think this to be more likely a reaction to a vaccination site (perhaps the carrier agent of the vaccine) but of course this can happen with Cylap as you know. I have not heard of skin reactions with Myxi personally, but that's not to say they don't exist, someone else may know. Lumps under the skin 'could' be a presentation of pasturella abcessation... or could be something like raised lymph nodes, or cysts? I'm not sure on that one.

If you have just got your bun then a one-off 28 day course of Panacur is a good idea (for worming and EC control), but yes, recently the advice has been only to Panacur when bun has an active infection, however, this is a topical issue and many vets still feel panacur as a preventative is helfpul. That one is up to you.

I would DEFINITELY only use lapinject. :D:wave:

Becca24
29-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Thank you all for your help. I think I am going to have to just wait and see what happens with the lumps. Hopefully its just a reaction to the myxi jab and will sort itself out.

As for the VHD jab I am not going to risk it and will defo be making sure he has lipenject (sp sorry)