• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to choose a Good Vet??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I wonder if any of you could help advise me on how to choose a good vet??

I've had several recommendations but only 1 from someone who has bunnies! The others are from dog/cat/bird owners.

And their prices vary wildly!

One vet charges £25.70 each for vacs whereas another only charges £13.50 each.

Are there specific questions I should be asking in order to find a good vet?

And is having a 'special interest' in rabbits a good enough reason to register with them or is there some other terminology I should be looking for? (like, 'bunny expert')! lol

Thanks, Jo

http://www.vet2pet.co.uk/pethealth/rabbithealth/choosingavet_rabbit.asp

Alternatively, post your location in rabbit chat and another member near you might be able to offer a suggestion :wave:

ETA: From a personal point of view I would want a vet who 'likes rabbits', is willing to answer questions in a consult, and who is polite and friendly - tableside manner goes a long way. Clinically a vet who uses post-operative pain relief, understands the urgency and treatment for GI stasis/bloat, has good equipment on site (Xrays, blood tests etc) and who uses proper dental equipment (and not pliers! as I have once experienced sadly).

Last edited:
An exotic vet is a good idea....more likely to have done birdies and bunnies.:wave:
Ask a few questions of the actual practice.Go in and ask how many buns on the books, how many bunny GAs, that sort of thing perhaps??
I asked my regular vet for an exotic vets number..they gave me one, and I went to visit.The next thing my vets know is Im leaving them to go elsewhere!! Its your perogative to choose which vet you think will suit your needs.
I think an exotic vet may be a bit more pricey...maybe not.Areas count...I find my vet gives me discount when I take the whole brood in......:wave:

Hi! :wave:

Google local rabbit rescue centre near you & contact them - ask them who they use to treat all their buns!

I called around loads of vets & also got confused! I ended up contacting a rabbit rescue centre who has been so helpful with advising a vet! They have even emailed me more that are further afield in case I needed another in an emergency etc!

One thing thats important is about the neutering & spaying - make sure they are experienced - their success rates & how many rabbits they see - a good vet sees alot of rabbits - maybe 10 a week!

Another thing is their out of hours emergency service. Many vets are unable to finance this & you end up driving to another surgery thats unfamiliar & also they dont always have your rabbits history - if this is the case - ask if the emergency centre has access to their files - so if need be the emergency vet is able to access your rabbits history. if they say they dont do this - ask what happens in this situation.

I have found a vet thats a good half hour drive away with 2 surgerys - BUT one of the centres is a 24 hour hospital for emergencys....they have vets on a rota ....but at least my buns history is there & I dont have to go to somewhere I dont know PLUS they are expereince with buns - the most important thing!

You can check if the rabbit savvy vet will be on call or is it a rota too & the other vets experience etc. I thought that in an emergency you may have to travel a good half hour anyway if your vet surgery out of hours is at another surgery SO check that - also make sure you do a trial run so in an emergency you know where you are going & you dont get lost.

Make sure the emergency vet ( if sent to another surgery) is rabbit savy - you can call & check.

You can always go to the nearest vet if its a matter of life & death & cant travel....

Good luck!:D

Back