• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits don't groom each other?

Lilkob

New Kit
Hi
I have recently started bonding my dutch doe with my lop buck, both neutered. Started out horrific but they have now, of their own free will, decided to join together and spend every second with each other. Only problem is they both go down nose to nose and neither seems prepared to groom the other. I have tried the banana behind the ears, the tickling behind ones ears etc but they don't get it. Florence, our doe, is quite dominant but will lick me if I put my hand to her, how can I get them to groom. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone finding bonding hard, my tip after doing it myself, is to give them a way to get to each other if they want to, once they stop with all the aggression of course. Ours jumped in together and despite attempts to keep them apart they are having none of it. We bonded a very dominant and extremely aggressive, (at the start) female, with a still horny male in a week. It can be done.

I've found that it's not immediate. When I bonded it took mine a while for one to back down.

Time.Give it time.
Mrs B and Roland didnt do a thing!! I was so upset!!!!! And now they are mad for each other!!!!:wave:

Our two males were just the same - both would put their noses down for a groom and neither would oblige. Eventually, a bit of mutual grooming started and now they are best mates again.

i got my two back yesterday.. havent seen any grooming yet, and i think because shes not grooming him he is going humping mad. hope one of them gives in soon and just grooms the other... tense stuff this new bond lark :shock:

Back