• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions Please.

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys,

I went to the vets this morning to get the rabbit I just got neutered, and took my guinea pigs to be treated for mites.

As Ive mentioned in another post I have 3 rabbits. I also have 4 female guinea pigs living together and a pair of males.

When I was at the vet's, the nurse who checked us in was really snide with me, saying 'I thought one rabbit would be enough' and shooting me lots of disapproving looks. The vet then came in and was nicer but asked if I would make appointments earlier (which we should have been told on the phone when we made the appointment in my opinion, but there you go). we often have to make appointments on the night for the next day, as I get my rota one week at a time, and we don't know when we will need to go into university.

The vet was really nice after this, but the nurse continued to be snide and disapproving, and the receptionist was like this as well. I got the feeling they weren't rabbit/piggie fans, and annoyed we hadn't given them much notice, but my partner said they thought we had too many animals (an opinion he shares, the rabbits/piggies are very much mine).

As the vet is obviously aware, the animals get all the treatment they need, and the rabbits are all neutered. Another vet I saw a week or so ago commented on how well looked after they are and how rare this is to see in rabbits.

The vets have no idea about my set up but I'll tell you anyway - the 4 guineas live in a run and the 2 guineas in a large cage, and I swap them over so that everyone is getting enough exercise. The rabbits are all living separately but will be bonded once everyone has recovered from being neutered. I feed pellets and hay on a morning, and veg on an afternoon. Everyone gets cleaned out once/twice a week depending on how messy they are looking, and soiled bedding is removed every day. I handle them all often, although I have to admit the rabbits get a bit more attention than the piggies. I ordered the largest run I could find two days ago and waiting for it to arrive now.

Does this sound like I have too many animals? Or do you think the nurse/receptionist were just not massive rabbit fans/annoyed at our late booking? Please be honest. And if you do think I have too many, what would you recommend that I do?

Its not the vets in Crawcrook is it?? They're always on my case as well. The nurses and receptionists are both snide and nasty about small animals to the extent that out of the two vets onlt one will operate on rabbits etc because the other one "doesn't do small animals" how stupid can you get! Your a vet and its your job!!

Maybe next time your there you should remind them that;
1. Its their job to look after animals.
2. Your paying for their service and therefore keeping them in a job.
3. Whilst everyone is entitled to their own oppinion you don't want to hear theirs its not professional and unles you are abusing your animals (which obviously your not!) then its none of their business.
4. It shouldn't matter when you make the appointment. They check the diary and fit you in so therefore its in their hands when you come in and how much notice they get. How are you actually responsible for this?

Give them hell :evil:

Its not the vets in Crawcrook is it?? They're always on my case as well. The nurses and receptionists are both snide and nasty about small animals to the extent that out of the two vets onlt one will operate on rabbits etc because the other one "doesn't do small animals" how stupid can you get! Your a vet and its your job!!

Maybe next time your there you should remind them that;
1. Its their job to look after animals.
2. Your paying for their service and therefore keeping them in a job.
3. Whilst everyone is entitled to their own oppinion you don't want to hear theirs its not professional and unles you are abusing your animals (which obviously your not!) then its none of their business.
4. It shouldn't matter when you make the appointment. They check the diary and fit you in so therefore its in their hands when you come in and how much notice they get. How are you actually responsible for this?

Give them hell :evil:

Thank you for this I've been dead upset since I got in thinking they'd be ringing the RSPCA and all sorts. And it makes me doubt myself because my house looks so full of animals!! I know, how would I know that they can't book in after 6pm, and if they can't, why are they doing it :evil: i must keep them in business I've paid £80 to get each of my rabbits neutered, just gave them £60 for the mites for the piggies.

I'm so sad right now they're normally so lovely in the vets. Thanks for making me feel better glad I'm not the only person who gets treated this way.

Is there another vets you could use/ Mine are lovely, they have no problem with me booking all four buns in together (in fact, they offer a 10% discount for anyone taking 3+ animals in to be treated at the same time).

We have four rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, a dog and a budgie (that's quite a low number of pets for us!) - I think there are lot sof people on here who have lots of pets and love them all and look after them all well, as it seems you do.
Remember, you are paying the vets for their service, you are the customer, they should be wanting to keep your custom, not drive you elsewhere.

:wave:

I would find a new vet - they sound horrible :cry: what a way to be treated!! You can have 50 animals and as long as you have space, they are all fed, watered, vacced, neutered etc etc what does it matter???? :evil:

My vets are lovely and will spend a bit of time just stroking and talking to my bunnies and one vet nurse particularly will come out to see them in the waiting room to have a coo!!

Def find a new vet - how would you feel if you had to leave one overnight in their care?? :?

Is there another vets you could use/ Mine are lovely, they have no problem with me booking all four buns in together (in fact, they offer a 10% discount for anyone taking 3+ animals in to be treated at the same time).

We have four rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, a dog and a budgie (that's quite a low number of pets for us!) - I think there are lot sof people on here who have lots of pets and love them all and look after them all well, as it seems you do.
Remember, you are paying the vets for their service, you are the customer, they should be wanting to keep your custom, not drive you elsewhere.

:wave:

I'm reluctant to change vets, I got both my rabbits neutered there and normally they are so nice. They don't charge for post-op checks (even when my rabbit ripped the suture open on his neuter), they only seem to charge for a consultation if you go away with medicine (i once paid £40 at another vet to be told they don't know what is wrong) and they do seem to know a lot. when I was ringing around other vets the receptionist at one told me 'I didn't know you could neuter rabbits' :?
The vets are lovely its just the nurse, one of the vets wants to steal Harvey and Zero. I'm always worried about them though and I would hate to think that they weren't being looked after or that anybody else thinks that :(

awww thats awful :( so long as you look after your pets its nobodies business

my vet and nurse are lovely couldnt ask for better-guess Im lucky

Id def want to change vets though :?

and when I was a child we had-2 rabbits-2 guinea pigs-1 hamster-2 gerbils-numerous fish- a budgie-mice-2 cats-2 dogs-and 3 ducks :lol:

I would find a new vet - they sound horrible :cry: what a way to be treated!! You can have 50 animals and as long as you have space, they are all fed, watered, vacced, neutered etc etc what does it matter???? :evil:

My vets are lovely and will spend a bit of time just stroking and talking to my bunnies and one vet nurse particularly will come out to see them in the waiting room to have a coo!!

Def find a new vet - how would you feel if you had to leave one overnight in their care?? :?

I know, and I was stressed as it is because I was leaving Cass to be neutered and I hate knowing there's even that tiny risk. The vets do coo over them, its just the nurse. Might complain about her! There's animals I don't like but I would never say that to the owner of one!! And she works in a vets. It just really took me by surprise because they're normally nice, think they were narky because we booked in so late. When you ring after 6pm you get put through to a different branch, who have been booking us in when it seems they shouldnt have been :roll: how this is my fault, I don't know?

Thanks, you have made me feel better, every spare penny I earn goes on the animals. I'm always spending £50 here or £60 there on them without thinking, would never spend that amount on myself. They're worth it though :love:

I was going to post a big thing on here recommending the vets as well because I struggled so hard to find a good one. that won't be happening now! losers.

Just another question, I took some of Cass's poos in for my vet to look at (she wasn't that impressed, obviously not a poo person like us bunny mums) and she said they were fine, but I think they're a little bit too black (which means he needs more hay? am i right or wrong?). She then said they eat the little round poos, and the sloppier poos (caecotrophs I assume) are left. Isn't it the other way round? Could have just been a slip of the tongue, because she normally says they eat the caecotrophs... strange lol

vets are private businesses like dentists, and they don't have to care for your animals if they don't want to. that's a sad fact. reporting them won't make any difference, unless they have made a big mistake in how they treat your pet.

find a new vet, one who can tolerate your animals. you aren't doing the wrong thing by having a few, its a personal choice, and you take good care of them. don't worry too much about the rude vets you've seen. they'll be sorry when all their customers go elsewhere. :wave:

vets are private businesses like dentists, and they don't have to care for your animals if they don't want to. that's a sad fact. reporting them won't make any difference, unless they have made a big mistake in how they treat your pet.

find a new vet, one who can tolerate your animals. you aren't doing the wrong thing by having a few, its a personal choice, and you take good care of them. don't worry too much about the rude vets you've seen. they'll be sorry when all their customers go elsewhere. :wave:

one of the things that makes me sad is when vets take in animals they have no clue about. before I got my rabbits I took my hamsters to a cat/dog vet, and they had no idea but took them in and took my money without ever admitting that they don't know. I think I will see how they are with me when I pick Cass up this afternoon, and I might ring a few more places and ask some questions. I hate to think of my bunnies being anywhere they aren't wanted.

I suppose now that I've calmed down, I know there are a lot of people with one animal they mistreat and neglect. The number is not important. I never feel like I have too many - I feel like I don't have enough!!

One is never enough :lol:

I have;
2 cats
2 piggies
3 rabbits (will be 4 if my oh will go for it :oops:)
2 cockatiels
9 fish indoor and outdoor

They get all my money. They eat before me and have their vet bills paid before i even think about having my roots done at the hairdressers (they are very bad at the min as well!!) I can't remember thelast time I bought new clothes. BUT its what you do when you love them :love:

One is never enough :lol:

I have;
2 cats
2 piggies
3 rabbits (will be 4 if my oh will go for it :oops:)
2 cockatiels
9 fish indoor and outdoor

They get all my money. They eat before me and have their vet bills paid before i even think about having my roots done at the hairdressers (they are very bad at the min as well!!) I can't remember thelast time I bought new clothes. BUT its what you do when you love them :love:

haha it sounds like you're describing my life. I think you NEED another bun :) when I move house and have more space I'm going to be searching rescue centres for a lionhead. I meant to wait to get my third rabbit, but I just saw Cass and fell in love, and I knew he could end up anywhere if P@H were in charge of rehoming him!

P.S. I love Lilly and Dexter, if Cass had been a girl I was going to call him Lilly!

Back