• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dieting for rabbits

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Blues got really big :shock:
Hes always been on the plump side but he seems to of doubled in size now.
I cut right down on his veg and he gets 5 pellets a day and unlimited hay.
I feed him seperatly to the others because I know he would scoff theres buts its getting a joke.

I don't want to limit hes hay, it won't be good for him.
But would it do any harm to cut his veg to a few times a week, he gets the bare min at the momment but I don't know how else to get him to slim abit.

Hes not lazy, he binkies and runs round most of the time, infact hes always trying to round up the others but they just prefer to sleep.

Hes still cleaning himself but I don't want it to get to the stage were he can't.
I'm at my wits end as what to do food wise. Any help appreciated :oops:

My Charlie only gets veg two or three times a week and my vet said he's the picture of health :love:

I cant help but wanted to say do you have a rabbit nurse at your vets? theres a nurse at my vets and shes brilliant, she knows a lot about rabbits and is always on hand to answer any questions, she even does a little health check including weighing them if youve any concerns

What veg do you feed? Id feed him just greens daily :) Does he get to graze on the lawn? I wouldnt cut his hay down, that surely cant be making him fat :lol:

All the buns here (my own and fosters) get a small handful of pellets of a morning, and then a bowl of veg of an evening, plus unlimited hay, and none of them are overweight :) xx

Yeah he went to my vet beg of March he had been on his diet for about a month and she said he was the picture of health, really healthy and didn't stop going on about how well looked after he was.

He gets a stalk of mint and a stalk of dill in the evening and thats it. I'm just at a loss as to how come hes putting on weight still.

They live in my garage so free range there all day and night, he only goes out on the grass at weekends for an hour as we don't have a secure enough garden for them and lots of cats and fox's.

If he only gets 5 pellets, a stalk of mint, and a stalk of dill a day he really isnt eating much :( As i said, our buns get a handful of pellets and a huge bowl of veg daily, and theyre not overweight :?

Is he a very active bunny? I dont know what else to suggest, but i really woudlnt cut the veg out if thats all he has, that couldnt be making him overweight. Bless him :love: Hes just big boned ;)

He says hes just a very cuddly bunny.

Honeys got to have some tests on her eye tomorrow so my vets said she will have a check over of him as she can't see why he would be putting it on as theres nothing visible there that says hes unwell. Unless hes sneaking into the fridge at night ;) :lol:

didnt like to say but thought he looked a lil chunk :lol: mind my beth although the smallest is the roundest of my lot

Just the way they look at you " we iz staaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrvinzzzzzzzzz mom :shock: "

didnt like to say but thought he looked a lil chunk :lol: mind my beth although the smallest is the roundest of my lot

Just the way they look at you " we iz staaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrvinzzzzzzzzz mom :shock: "

:lol: its worse now Brackens bonded in with them as shes only a bubba he looks even bigger next to her :lol:
I feel so bad everytime I go to see them he goes crazy binkying as he thinks I'm going to feed them. He jumps upto onto there table thing there and just looks at me with these big sad eyes:roll:

Back