• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He feels bonier LUMPS ON NECK - U/D post 15

Becca24

Mama Doe
I was just out with Pip and giving him some strokes and cuddles and bit of a brush and I can feel all his shoulder blades and spine I cant figure out if he has always been like that and I only notice it now because I am handling him more or whether he has lost weight!

Pip is only 9 weeks old so obviously isn't going to be a fat bunny but its bothering that I cant really tell if its weight loss or not, does that makes sense?? He was weighed at the vets last week and I was going to weigh him but the bloomin scales arent working for some reason.

Do you think I am worrying over nothing? He is eating his hay, pooing and weeing all ok. I am in the process of weaning him onto SS which he eats but only when he has eaten all the other pellets and they are are thats left!!

Last edited:
Young buns usually feel bony, especially on the shoulders/ribs.

Just keep an eye on his growth. He should be fine! :D

I don't know if this helps, but I had 4 (now only 3) little buns from an accidental litter (they're 12 weeks old) and noticed last week that one had suddenly lost all his weight, so I took him to the vets and he was put on a course of Panacur (the worming stuff) just incase. Unfortunately, Smooch was put to sleep on Monday due to reasons unrelated to his weight loss :( But my thoughts on my pets, is if I'm worried about anything, however small, it's better to be safe than sorry and always whip them off for a vet check!

I don't know if this helps, but I had 4 (now only 3) little buns from an accidental litter (they're 12 weeks old) and noticed last week that one had suddenly lost all his weight, so I took him to the vets and he was put on a course of Panacur (the worming stuff) just incase. Unfortunately, Smooch was put to sleep on Monday due to reasons unrelated to his weight loss :( But my thoughts on my pets, is if I'm worried about anything, however small, it's better to be safe than sorry and always whip them off for a vet check!

So sorry you lost him!! :cry:

We have a vet appt on Tuesday but that is still a while away, he is totally fine in himself and is getting bigger! I shall sleep on it and make a decision in the morning !

I agree with the saying that if youre worried go to the vet

but wanted to just add that the bunny we had before princess was 6wks old and she was more bonier and fragile feeling than princess was and she was 16wks

but at the end of the day if you feel the need to go to the vets Id say go, just to put your mind at rest

Okay so just shut pip in his hutch and gave him a little stroke as always and have noticed he has lumps on his neck, kind of in the loose skin area. At fist I thought it was where he had his myxi jab but I can feel more than one, more two or 3, I cant actually see anything when I look and blow on fur no redness, dry patches or anything, they kind of move under the skin!

Has anyone come across this before or know what this might be.

Am going to ring vets in the morning anyway but I am gonna worry all night now! :(

Hi,

Bo had a lump in her neck folds where you've described - felt kind of a bit squidgy when touched and moved about - when I took her to the vets it turned out to be a pasturella (sp) lump / abscess - they removed it under GA. Another lump turned up a couple of weeks later and it was the same thing (they mustn't have removed all of the first one) but when they removed that one she's been as right as rain since - that was about 3 years ago and she's had no problems since then and has always been a healthy bun.

Tammy x

The lumps have got worse, much harder and bigger and one has really crusted over with some redness! :cry:

Got an appt at 2.50pm. I feel really worried. This is one of the reasons I was cautious of getting another bun, I have only had him a few weeks but I love him to pieces and dont want anything to be wrong! I know I am prob being overdramatic but I cant help it!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Literally just got back from Vets and the vet seems to think its either mites or reaction to the Myxi jab. She checked inside both ears for ear mites, but no sign and all ok!

I am going to start a new thread about mites would just like to know other peoples experiences of mites. The plan at the moment is to see how they go over the next few days and if not better or worse start a course of injections for mites!

Also his weight had gone from 0.78 to 0.90 so he his putting on weight!! :D

I am glad he has put on weight!!

I still dont feel 100% certain its not pasturella but cant exactly argue with the vet can I?

Will see how he is over the weekend!! The thought of mites makes me cringe a bit! :oops:

I am glad he has put on weight!!

I still dont feel 100% certain its not pasturella but cant exactly argue with the vet can I?

Will see how he is over the weekend!! The thought of mites makes me cringe a bit! :oops:

I've argued with my vet!! ;) He listens to me when I give my opinion. :D

Glad he's put on weight!!

Back