• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc+matt joint thread-*gentamicin course 8 and very proud of matt!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
Last edited:
i really wish this endless illness would just leave them alone now :( i really feel for you hun xxxx

i really wish this endless illness would just leave them alone now :( i really feel for you hun xxxx

i wish it would aswell. :( they are both quite bunged up at the minute and the stress of it has set off bisc's tum again. so he's having infacol and maxolon aswell at the minute. :(

i can't see it ever going though. i think they will be on meds for life now.

matt seems to cope better than bisc. bisc worries me the way he is when he gets stressed. :( he looks like he has lost weight again, but we will see on friday when they see aidan at the vets.

i feel so sorry for them. wish i could help them more, but i don't know what else to do now.

No one could do more!

Do you now have two bunnies in the mist? :love: lots of eternal get well vibes from me x

yes, they go in the nebuliser twice a day at the same time. :love::love: they just eat their treats in there and then groom each other, and the sides of the box! :lol: they look sweet in there, but i wish they didn't have to have it. but they seem much better when they come out, all their nose cleared, so it does them good. they aren't bothered about being in there at all. :)

bisc looks loads better today, his tum is nice and soft again. it took a few doses of infacol and maxolon again but he seems ok. just munching on hay now. :)

eta: so glad we are at the vets tomorrow. bisc's breathing is awful today when he is asleep. i would say he is worse than matt. :(

Last edited:
It's great that the nebuliser works so well for them both and that they do not find it stressful. How cute they go in together! :love: Perhaps they can just pretend they are having a steam room together at some plush health spa! :)

It must be very frustrating to have them both poorly, and upsetting too. But you are doing all the right things and i'm sure they know that it makes them feel better - it's probably why they tolerate it so well. Good luck at vets tomorrow :)

It's great that the nebuliser works so well for them both and that they do not find it stressful. How cute they go in together! :love: Perhaps they can just pretend they are having a steam room together at some plush health spa! :)

It must be very frustrating to have them both poorly, and upsetting too. But you are doing all the right things and i'm sure they know that it makes them feel better - it's probably why they tolerate it so well. Good luck at vets tomorrow :)

aw, thank you. :) will update tomorrow of course! got to take the piggies aswell so will be a full car! dad will be pleased! :lol:

just got home from the vets. we left at 6pm! :shock:

anyway, bisc has managed to keep his weight farirly stable, going from 2.07kg to 2.03kg. still a way off his ideal weight still though. he had his vhd and nails trimmed and teeth checked (which are fine) we have worked out that when bisc's breathing is bad, that is when he gets stressed which in turn sets off his tum and causes him to just wee anywhere/drink more etc etc. unfortunately, it is because of folds of skin which close up when he is sleeping and relaxed, and nothing can be done about it. it is bad because he gets stressed sometimes, but aidan can't see anything in his nose mucus wise so he isn't convinced bisc has an infection again, because his chest is clear and he is fine when awake. so it is a bit of a difficult one because nothing can be done and he gets stressed. :? so he is going to stay on parvolex and saline in the nebuliser long term, just to keep his airways clear. he is coming off ronaxan tablets first to see how he does, and then in two weeks he will come off the metacam, just to see if he gets worse. if he does, he may have an infection. if not, it is obv just his breathing when asleep, in which case there is no point him being on antibiotics. so just the nebuliser long term for bisc.

matt had his vhd aswell and a nail trim and teeth check. his teeth are fine aswell, but he has alot of mucus again in his nose, and it is obvious that this current combination of meds isn't working either. :( he will also be on the nebuliser long term, probably for life, as it is the thing that helps him the most. aidan thinks maybe the mucus has built up again at the back of the nose, and will need draining again. also, the bacteria from the lab showed that matt has a bacteria commonly found in soil. it is not normally found in the nose of rabbits, but when they have the beginnings of an uri anyway, this allows this other bacteria to enter where it shouldn't, and basically take over. this is what has happened to matt, and aidan said it is one of the most resistant bacteria's. so this is why it is taking so long to shift. :(

so matt is going to have to have another ga soon for another c+s test, and for aidan to have another look in the nose and throat etc. he thinks that it may be a fungal infection now. :( whatever it is, it is not shifting, so we just have to keep going and see what happens. matt will be on the nebuliser meds for life though, just to keep his nose clearer for him.

before he has his ga though, he has to come off all meds for 7days minimum, longer if possible. so he is going to be so bunged up and uncomfortable during that. :(

i really feel so sorry for them. :(

Omg just read your thread, sorry you and your lovely buns are having such a rough time :( i hope uyou find manageable solutions to both of their problems. Sending get well vibes xxx

i just feel so sorry for them. but they are still so happy and binkying round so much! they handle it all so well. better than me at times! :oops:

i feel that matt has been so unlucky though, that the soil bacteria, the opportunist one, just happened to get in his nose. :(

anyway, we will keep going! thanks for the support xx

Oh how frustrating for you :( On the positive side I suppose Aidan can't have thought they were that poorly if they were well enough to have their VHD vaccinations :)

Are you using F10 in the nebuliser? It has anti-fungal properties after 15 minute contact time so could well also be helping with that if it is there. Santa also grooms the inside of the nebuliser box - funny little things aren't they!

I hope your two pick up really soon xxx

Oh how frustrating for you :( On the positive side I suppose Aidan can't have thought they were that poorly if they were well enough to have their VHD vaccinations :)

Are you using F10 in the nebuliser? It has anti-fungal properties after 15 minute contact time so could well also be helping with that if it is there. Santa also grooms the inside of the nebuliser box - funny little things aren't they!

I hope your two pick up really soon xxx

yes, i always worry about the vaccinations but he said they are fine to have them.

we have tried F10 in the nebuliser, and then F10 with parvolex and saline, but it didn't help. it actually made matts eyes red and the inside of his nostrils. :?

it is so funny when they groom the box. makes me laugh so much. matt disappears into the steam and you just see his black stripe and this big pink tongue!! :lol::love: bisc doesn't groom it as much as matt though.

bisc's breathing when he is asleep is really worrying. feeling quite down about it all today and how to keep being able to afford the meds and vets etc. :(

just a quick update :)

bisc has been off ronaxan tablets 12 days now and he is the same as on them, so obviously they weren't doing anything. the good news is that his breathing isn't as bad. the nebuliser is working wonders for him. :D he still snores sometimes but he isn't gasping air and all that. so i'm really happy. and he is really happy aswell. he hasn't done this many binkies in ages! it's like he knows he had months and months of not having the energy and strength to do any, and was feeling poorly, and now he is trying to make up the number for the ones missed! :lol: it's lovely to see. he is having a trial off metacam soon aswell. if he is the same, he may just need the nebuliser twice a day for life, which considering how bad he has been, would be a fantastic result really.

matt is doing really well aswell. he is happy and binkying like mad with bisc! a few days ago he made a horrible noise and so much mucus came out of the right nostril this time. he forced it so hard down his nose yet it only came to right inside the nostril. it was really thick and horrible. i tickled his nose to make him sneeze again (sounds mean but he needed to get it out, it was blocking the whole nostril) and since all that came out he has been much better and has had nowhere near as much wetness round his nose. :) the nebuliser is fantastic for him aswell.

i am getting slightly nervous about matt coming off all medication ready for his third lot of tests. i hope he won't be too uncomfortable. :( i suspect he will be though because it will build up the mucus so much. which is good for the tests, but not so good for the way he will feel. but if it gets us some more results that will be good in the long run. getting matt to a point where he just needs the nebuliser twice a day would be amazing. i suspect he may have to stay on metacam aswell though for the swelling. but after all this, and how much he has been through, that wouldn't be a bad result really.

they are both really happy at the minute so i am really pleased. they way they cope is just amazing. :D

oh... that wasn't a quick update really was it! :oops::D

Very pleased to read that both these lovely boys are showing signs of improvement. You are doing a great job looking after them :)

bisc keeps weeing on himself. he pushes his tail back to wee like he should, but still manages to get wee all over himself. :( he must sit in it, or wee some of it on himself.

he doesn't seem to beable to control his bladder like he used to. on the way to the vets he wee'd twice in the carrier. he has never done that. and he even wee'd in the nebuliser the other day.

i'm worried about flies and him being wet and uncomfortable. but all the tests have been fine and there is nothing showing up as being wrong with him. :?

any ideas?

Back