• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best rabbit food available?

breeze

Mama Doe
what is the best food to feed rabbits?mine are currently on wagg optimum but just wondering if this is ok or if they should be on something better?

It seems the 2 of the most popular are Science Selective or Allen & Page. (A&P can be hard to find, unless you order it online i think.)

I use SS and the buns luuurve it.

It's higher in fibre and lower in protein (i think it's protein :oops:) than most other foods which is important.

Am sure someone who's better informed will be here soon to advise you :D

Alvin has been put back onto allen and page, lou reakons she rarely gets tummy issues in the buns at the rescue and she thinks the pellets help.

fingers crossed shes right and Alvins stasis is a dim and distant memory.

i think Oxbow is one of the very good ones because its not alfalfa based but its really really expensive :shock:

Most people on House Rabbit Society say Oxbow pellets are the best. I couldnt find these anywhere (I live in Newcastle) and I didnt want to order online in case i ended up with food that was out of date or something, or I wasnt in when it got delivered, so I use Burgess Supa Excel. One of my bunnies is fine on it, another seems to have excessive caecotrophs, although I am still introducing new veg so it could be because of that as well. Apparently a lot of people report excessive caecotrophs with Burgess though.

we switched Beau to SS from Excel after recurrent bouts of stasis, took him to a local rabbit expert and she said Ecel was renowned for links with stasis, he's been much better since, and he loves it! You can really tell the difference just by looking at them, Excel looks...I dunno, greasy :?

Mine have oxbow. My bridge bun had excel and always had a sticky bum so personally I'd never use them again. I don't find oxbow worls ouut too expensive - I usually buy two of the large bags at a time to save on shipping and that lasts the pair about 5 months I think.

locks has burgess excell

rosie has just been switched from burgess junior/dwarf (after 8yrs on it :lol: and decided now she doesn't want to eat) to science selective, because she has taken a licking to fenugreek cruchies

i keep thinking should i just feed them both science selective now :?

mine were getting excell, but Smokey was constantly getting a sticky bum, so now they get Rabbit Royal, and there is no more sticky bums :D

I'm a bit panicked now! Might change, but Burgess is recommended by my vet. Hmm.. the bizarre thing is though, when I joined they gave me a sample of Science Selective. But sell and recommend Burgess.

I'm a bit panicked now! Might change, but Burgess is recommended by my vet. Hmm.. the bizarre thing is though, when I joined they gave me a sample of Science Selective. But sell and recommend Burgess.

If you change you need to do it gradually - add a litt;e of the new stuff into the present food to start with

If you change you need to do it gradually - add a litt;e of the new stuff into the present food to start with

Yeah, when I first got them they were on P@H junior nuggets, then when they got a bit older I gradualy put them on Burgess, which was obviously a mistake! Does anybody buy Oxbow online, and if so what site?

Back