• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bonding

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place this is the first time I've used this forum :)

I just got a 2 year old black lop buck (not sure what type of lop) and he is unneutered. should i try and introduce him to my neutered 5 month old buck or wait until the new bun is neutered.

he is from the rescue section at Pets at Home because after I've read all the awful things about pet shops I don't want to go to them anymore (all the money I paid for the rabbit goes to the animal charity). the guy said the rabbit had been with others before so should be OK with my rabbit, but I am dubious about this, from experience I know pet shop advice isn't always great. I'm also concerned as this sounds like he might have bonded and then been separated :(

also, can anyone think of a name for him?? Not a marking/colouring name e.g. Floppy or Blackberry. My other rabbits are called Harvey and Zero.

Thank you

No definately dont both boys need to have been neutered for at least a month or they are very likely to fight. when you do bond it needs to be done on neutral territory - have a read through the bonding section before you try anything.

It very much depends on the rabbits but some people say bnding two boys can be tricky

I haven't got any personal experience with bonding (yet) but from what I have read on here it's best to wait until they're both neutured, as otherwise their hormones might go a bit gaga!

Well done for getting a rescue bun, and welcome to RU :wave:

With regards to the name, have you got any pictures you can post? How about Minstrel :D

there was a thread not so long ago a member bonded two males thinking they were netured but one of them wasnt... the one who wasnt was castrated by the other one within a matter of minutes and had to have emergency treatment.

deffo get your boy done first before you pair him up :wave::wave:

Thank you! I'll post some pictures tomorrow but I only got him home a couple of hours ago so don't want to flash his little eyes out just yet! He is quite big, definitely not a mini lop, could be a dwarf lop? don't think he's big enough to be a french lop. Oo Minstrel is a good name :) He has gone for my hand a couple of times, he kind of tries to grab them with his paws, so I think he is a bit aggressive at the minute, probably terrified like poor guy.

there was a thread not so long ago a member bonded two males thinking they were netured but one of them wasnt... the one who wasnt was castrated by the other one within a matter of minutes and had to have emergency treatment.

deffo get your boy done first before you pair him up :wave::wave:

Yes, I got 2 rabbits originally, thinking I had a boy and a girl, got the boy neutered, tried to bond them, but the 'girl' was a boy :oops: so now my little 'girl' boy has a cone on his head and is recovering from being neutered. I hopefully want to bond the 3 together but I feel this may be difficult.

I thought I'd better check the PAH man was right, it sounded a bit crazy, but thought maybe because newbie is a bit older and wiser he might not feel the need to fight as much!

sounds like a lovely plan. i hope they all fall inlove and we get loads of pics :love::love::love::love:

im not brave enough to bond myself so Alvin gets sent away to the rescue and i let them do all the hard work hehe

:lol: haha yeah I bet a flash in his face is the last thing he wants right now!

He won't be aggressive when he's chilled out for a bit I'm sure, he's probably just a bit shell shocked bless him :) I bet he's just saying "right where the hell am I, OI this is my land!"

Did P@H say why he was up for adoption?

:lol: haha yeah I bet a flash in his face is the last thing he wants right now!

He won't be aggressive when he's chilled out for a bit I'm sure, he's probably just a bit shell shocked bless him :) I bet he's just saying "right where the hell am I, OI this is my land!"

Did P@H say why he was up for adoption?

Yeah, Zero was aggressive when I first got him, think it was a mix of hormones, fear, neglect and bad handling. He's lovely now though, just took a lot of patience haha.

Yeah, the person had too many, he had been breeding and stuff I think.

I hope they all bond together beautifully :) they look so lonely right now. my other babies are 5 months old and the new bunny is nearly 2 years old, do you think that will affect bonding?

sounds like a lovely plan. i hope they all fall inlove and we get loads of pics :love::love::love::love:

im not brave enough to bond myself so Alvin gets sent away to the rescue and i let them do all the hard work hehe

haha I wouldn't do it myself, when I tried with the other two I had my fiance standing over so he could break up any fights.

put up a picture of Harvey in my avatar << doesn't really do him justice :) he's gorgeous. If I figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll put some more up of him and of Zero.

Back