• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ulcerated eye

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Summer has been suffering with an ulcerated eye for a number of weeks now and it doesn't seem to be improving :(

She had a course of tiacil which didn't work and has now been on fucithalmic for nearly 2 weeks, plus metacam.

There still doesn't seem to be any improvement, so I am wondering why it doesn't seem to be responding to treatment and what else we can try :?

Her eye is constantly wet and half closed and looks like it is causing her a lot of discomfort :(

Sorry to hear this :( I don't suppose a course of systemic antibiotics would be more effective would they? Perhaps alongside the drops as well? Is there an underlying issue such as tooth roots?

She has never had any health problems except for one minor dental a year ago. My only thought was that at 9 years old things may take a lot longer to heal, but I don't know if that could be a possibility :?

I guess its another trip to the vets but I hate having to stress her out, poor old girl

ETA I think it was caused by a knock to the eye as she has recently been bonded and she can be a bit fiesty at the start :?

My only thought was that at 9 years old things may take a lot longer to heal, but I don't know if that could be a possibility :?

Oh my! I didn't know she was 9, sorry. I should have realised being a rainbow bun :) I expect her ability to heal and her general immunity due to her age will be playing a big part in all of this. I hope you can find a solution with your vet. Lots of luck x

Some Vets have had success using a topical preparation of a serum made from the Rabbit's own blood.

I believe a topical Insulin preparation can promote healing in corneal ulceration too.

Back