• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny drinking a lot of water

grainy

Warren Scout
my new bun Jazz drinks one of the large bottles of water a day (600ml). We have had him now for 3 weeks, is this much okay? I'm worried because my other bunny hardly drinks any and the vet says she is super healthy :) So s this much water okay??

Does sound quite excessive. May be a silly question but have you checked thst the water bottles not leaking? If shes definatly drinking that much id ask your vet to explore the possibility of kidney problems etc
hope shes ok xxx

He is a small bunny, possibly cross between netherland dwarf and lop, he is 7 months old so is still fairly small. I would say he is drinking 600ml in about 48 hours as he drinks all night. The bottle doesnt appear to leak. My other bun will drink a very tiny amount of this.

Does sound quite excessive. May be a silly question but have you checked thst the water bottles not leaking? If shes definatly drinking that much id ask your vet to explore the possibility of kidney problems etc
hope shes ok xxx

Definately as above. Marnie drinks LOADS and is on baytril to rule out a UTI beofre we test her for kidney function :wave:

How much is he weeing? My bridge bun Mopsy drank and weed excessively and was diagnosed with diabetes insipidous. Towards the end I was filling up her litre water bowl 3 x a day.

I would get the vets to check bun out, excessive drinking can be a symptom of many things, as previous posts.
EC is also a possibility, my Inca drank loads recently when she had EC.

A visit to the vets should help, they may recommend a course of panacur for both buns as a precaution.

When I asked this I got a reply saying oh it's normal, some buns just drink more. :?

Anyway, my lops drink a litre between them a day. Mini seems to be drinking most of it. They are indoors so warmer and they are on a no veg diet at the moment so not getting any moisture from the veg. They are also weeing a lot.

I am starting to get concerned though. I almost did a post of this myself but looked through my old threads and noticed I'd asked it before and got the response mentioned above. I'm wondering if it's possible Mimms has an infection that is causing both her poo problems and her drinking problems.

Last edited:
Back