• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What safe flower seeds can I plant?

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
I want to cheer up outside with some flowers in my large pots. The buns love jumping onto them, so I want flowers that are safe to be nibbled on :D

I have some seeds, but not sure which ones I can grow if any...can someone help?

sweet pea mix, 6 different types
marigold
livingstone daisy
alyssum
petunia
californian poppy
viola

any other safe ones you can think of? thank you :wave:

The seeds on sweet peas are poisonous, not sure about the plants. You could grow actual peas though, they have quite pretty flowers and are totally edible.

Violas are okay to eat for people so should be fine for bunnies. Marigold and other calendula are also eaten by people.

Some herbs have quite pretty flowers and do well in pots.

Not sure about what flowers are safe or not for buns to eat in pots. However when I planted some flowers in pots in my back garden my bun used to jump into the pots too and he eat every single plant in every single pot so I had none left!:lol::lol::lol: All I had left were pots of compost and guess what he didn't sit in them when there were no muchies left :lol::lol: This was a few years ago now and I don't put my pots of flowers out back now I put them out front where they won't be eaten!

I would avoid sweet peas - I don't think the leaves are safe to eat either. Why not grow some mangetout or sugar snap instead and then you can eat the pea pods and the buns can eat everything! :D
Not sure about californian poppy either?

Pelargoniums and perrenial geraniums are ok, strawberries....buns love the leaves! nasturtiums, marigold, mallow and calendula as suggested already. Fennel looks nice as grows to a good height and has pretty flowers. Lavender, nepeta (all varieties) and stachys are fun too. I grew my nepetas from seed.
To be honest though.... your buns will decimate your flowers... so you might be better off with things that are hardier and perennial!

I bought some seeds off ebay that were a mix specifically for rabbits (grasses and flowers) and I've got lots of pots planted with them. They're starting to come up now. When they're a good size I'll pop a pot in each run for the boys to destroy!!!:lol: Hopefully I have enough pots started to last for a while.

I've also planted Calendula and Nasturtuims for them.:)

Not sure about what flowers are safe or not for buns to eat in pots. However when I planted some flowers in pots in my back garden my bun used to jump into the pots too and he eat every single plant in every single pot so I had none left!:lol::lol::lol: All I had left were pots of compost and guess what he didn't sit in them when there were no muchies left :lol::lol: This was a few years ago now and I don't put my pots of flowers out back now I put them out front where they won't be eaten!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I get the feeling they will be eaten too!

Thanks for the info peeps, I have mint growing which they don't really bother with. My lavender bush died so will get another one and some of those nasturium and mallow seeds too :wave:

I'm growing nasturtium, marigold and dandelion, parsley and coriander for Hobbes

Camomile, lavender, mallow, daisy, aster, carnation, geranium, rose, sunflower, hollyhock are all safe.

I'm growing canary creeper (nasturtium family) up the rabbit aviary - on the outside though so she can only get the odd leaf that pokes through.

Back