• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up a new rabbit

tdsouza

Warren Scout
I am having problems picking up the new addition to the family, Marshmallow. He has been with me now for a few weeks and I decided that it would be a good time to start picking him up.
Marshmallow was used to being picked up by his foster family, but they did tell me he was a dream to hold until he was neutered but hes not to keen now.

I have been trying since Saturday but I am getting no where, as he won't stop wriggling long enough for me to get a safe hold of him, let alone lifting him up. He also seems to be passing on his reluctance to Hopper who is now starting to resist.

Does anyone have any tips for picking up a small and extremely wriggly bun? :?

Hi good to see someone else from Watford. As you may know as prey animals buns generally dont like to be picked up.
Id say to start off small. Try picking him up & placing him down straight away, follow this action with a treat. Try saying something like "up" before lifting him so that he learns that when you say up he will be lifted. Gradually increase the time you hold him & at the end of each session reward him with a treat. Good luck:)

Edit :wave: Remember to always support his bottom with your hand

Last edited:
Most rabbits dont like being picked up. My two are incredibly friendly and will follow me around, lick my hand, jump on my bed to be with me but the transition between being in the air and being on my lap is too great a fear for them.
I've been doing as above have said ^ but started off not even picking them up properly. Making a massive fuss out them and getting them used to my hand under the tummy and go on in stages like that :D

Same, my two hate being picked up. I only ever pick them up when absolutely necessary now, i tried getting them used to it but it just made them mis trust me. When i do have to pick them up i sit on the floor stroking them and chatting comfortingly to them first. With mimi i sometimes use a towel which i place over her face so she cant see, and this seems to stop her wriggling when ive got her in my arms.
I think most buns hate it, its just a case of finding a way around it xxx

Mine will not be picked up - if I need to get them into the house or to another area I use a travel case. They're quite happy to hop into it to be transported - I think they know the alternative is being picked up:lol:

Mine will not be picked up - if I need to get them into the house or to another area I use a travel case. They're quite happy to hop into it to be transported - I think they know the alternative is being picked up:lol:

Yes i do this with Charlie - he will quite happily go in the carrier as it avoids me picking him up and he knows hes more than likely going in the run :D

:lol: the words 'come for a love' have my bunnies running in the opposite direction. however, they are quite good with 'do you want a treat?' and its variation 'who wants a treat?' and will endure a lot to get a small nibbly crunchie.

i love the expression on their faces when i pick them up and tip them back a bit on my arm - not fear so much as "what on earth do you think you are doing, woman?" this is because i always start by checking their bums and giving them a quick trim if they need it (gave up on cleaning odd grimy bits and just snip now). then they have a groom and cuddle - i do gentle pulling of fur rather than brushing or combing as its effective and they love it. they snuggle down then and tabby will lick me. matthew only licks if he's ready to go down, a kind of "thanks, bye, i need a wee" message, which is followed by a scrabble if his need is urgent!

so i think what i'm recommending is, don't be put off, find something they like and work on that, building up as you go. tabby wouldn't be held for ages - i used to put her on the table in front of me, and rub her shoulders - she really liked that. recently she's accepted proper cuddles and seems to like them.

I thought it was just my rabbit that did this-glad to know it isnt just mine

I find I dont really pick her up, when I do I try and cradle her in my arms so she feels more secure, she still jumps out though :roll:

and sods law I told the nurse she was a wriggler, the nurse picked her up and princess behaved didnt even move haha

I had some great progress yesterday in the form of a box filled with hay.

He was so excited and ingrossed in this fresh box of hay that he let me put my hand under his belly and he didn't mind at all. Next time I'll try a small lift. :D

Back