• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you worm your rabbit?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I went to the vet today with 2 out of 4 rabbits for their VHD injection. Both rabbits are well and healthy (as are my other two as they were checked over 2 wks ago whilst having their mixi jab).

Anyway, it was a different vet today, and he said that it is an idea to worm all 4 rabbits. Is this the norm? I have bought the stuff anyway (panacur) but wasn't sure if it was really needed? the vet said to do it twice a year ...

so, do you worm your rabbits? and if not, why not?

thanks x

im going to be worming mine when he comes back from bonding (will be bonding them both just in case :) ) i worm my cats and dogs and will probably worm both my rabbits regularly :)

I worm my rabbits with Panacur too, but only on the vet's advice. One of mine dramatically lost all his weight recently and the vet advised to worm them all, which is what I did. There's no harm in it, so better be safe than sorry!!

The main point of using panacur 4 times a year is not really worming but to protect/reduce EC. There is lots of debate on whether we should, how often etc..

Not generally no, but I did use Panacur on Lily every few months when her headtilt began as she was suspected (but never confirmed) as having EC. I think it entirely depends on a case-by-case basis and owner-preference for otherwise healthy buns, some owners see it as no harm and better safe than sorry, but other owners don’t like the idea of over-pumping their rabbits with too many concoctions if unnecessary :wave:

I would consider it if my vet recommended it, but they don't currently recommend it for healthy buns :)

Last edited:
We only worm when there are symptoms present (or it's suspected) indicating that EC could be active. It was discussed at last years RWA conference and the very savvy vet who was speaking said that there is no benefit from preventative worming with Panacur, but that is should be used when actually trying to treat it.

RWA conference and the very savvy vet who was speaking said that there is no benefit from preventative worming with Panacur

I thought they were reccomending a one off preventative course of 28 days then to only re-treat if symtoms are present? Thats what I have done anyway.

Just wondering.............

If you try and prevent EC by using Panacur and then they did ever show symptoms of EC and were then treated with Panacur do you think that because Panacur had been given before it would lessen the chances of working or do you think it wouldnt make any difference and still do the job??

The way my vet explained it to me, all rabbits have EC in their system but if their immune system dips then it flares and causes problems. I feel by giving it regularly I can help to stop those flare ups.

This may be flawed reasoning however so I stand corrected if proven wrong.

The way my vet explained it to me, all rabbits have EC in their system but if their immune system dips then it flares and causes problems. I feel by giving it regularly I can help to stop those flare ups.

This may be flawed reasoning however so I stand corrected if proven wrong.

This was my understanding and also my intention to try and prevent. I was just thinking out loud really thinking how sometimes us humans can become immune to a certain drug and it no longer works and wether this could be the same in this instance. Hope that makes sense!

Yes I know what you mean. I haven't had any instances of it in the nearly three years since in any of my buns... not yet anyway... but thats's not really much of an indication.

thanks everyone. Really not sure what to do, dont want to get into 'overdosing' them on things that might not be necessary however I will do what I can to protect them! Oh the decisions .. do you think it is because one bun had a very slight weight lost? he said it was nothing to worry about and that I can check them again in 6 wks but they were both healthy (he checked temp, teeth, ears etc) etc.

Can I do it as a 'one off'? ie do this course now, but only in the future if they show signs?

thanks x

Can I do it as a 'one off'? ie do this course now, but only in the future if they show signs?

That's exactly what I do. All mine have had a one off 28 day course. I would only retreat if any of mine showed symptoms, I was introducing a new bunny or they went into boarding and thus were exposed to other rabbits.

My understanding was that the lifecycle of EC was that it passed through the system 21 and 28 days after treatment (hence why you bleach clean then) and that therefore from an EC perspective the 9 day treatment wouldn't really do anything.

Ive never heard to worm a rabbit :/

will mention it to my vet-I dont want to do something thats unnessesary, or not do something thats needed and she becomes ill

I didnt know they needed vaccinations though till the insurance company told me!!

My understanding was that the lifecycle of EC was that it passed through the system 21 and 28 days after treatment (hence why you bleach clean then) and that therefore from an EC perspective the 9 day treatment wouldn't really do anything.

The vet told me to only do it for 9 days? all 4 rabbits for 9 days (all at the same time). am I wasting my time with this then? I have the stuff but haven't started anything yet.

I think that there are 3 separate issues here:
1) Treatment of active infection with EC or Coccidiosis (protozoa)
2) Preventing infection from EC or coccidia
3) True worming; pin worms/round worms/tape worms.(helminths)

I don't routinely worm Thumper. I do take great care where I gather his fresh food from, avoiding the country park areas (dog loos) etc.

Back