• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off his food, itchy ears...prev teeth probs...not sure if i'm over-reacting!

Charlotte1984

Young Bun
Fudge has been off his food slightly for about 4-5days now, he usually comes running over to his greens at night-time, snatches the carrot from my hand in the morn and runs off with it and goes mad when he hears the pellets!

He's eating some still, but very slowly and he's constantly leaving his pellets or some greens he's never done this before, he always tries to eat it before i've even put it down!

I've also noticed he's a little bit quieter in himself at the min, so my alarm bells are ringing, he has gone through a failed bonding recently, could it just be stress? :? I thought that once the other bun was gone he'd get back to his usual self but he hasn't.

This may be insignificant, but he seems to have itchy ears at the min too, and has had teeth probs before and had an op to file them down a few years back.

I have a vet's appt this eve, but just want to go armed with some ideas and questions as my vet's not great with bunnies and has been trying to get at his teeth for past few years. I have refused before as didn't want unnecessary surgery when he was eating fine, and has been fine for two years without any ops. So i don't want them to just assume it is his teeth? Any ideas?!! :)

I'd say the first thing to rule out is teeth i'm afraid. Most buns who develop molar spurs tend to require regular dentals, not always - my buns spurs are mild and managed by diet alone, but although ideal, this is not usually the case.

Stress alone can lead to ileus (slowing of the GI tract) so it is possible that it is only this, but I should think that if he's had tooth issues before then this is quite a likely possibility. The itchy ear could be 'canker' or some other mite/bacterial infection. I think a vet trip today is VERY sensible.
Has bun been passing droppings as normal? Have you had a look in his ears with a little torch? They should look completely clean and clear.
I'm sure your vet will give your bun a thorough examination and find out what is wrong. Hope Fudge feels better soon. :)

oh no :( that's sounds like a whole list of bad things!

thank you for coming back to me so quickly, at least i can ask about these other things now, I just don't want them to say 'teeth, give him an op' without looking at anything else.

The first time they did his teeth they told me it had to be done as it would def cause probs, even though he was actually ok at the time, so I just let them do it as thought they knew best. But when 3 months later they said he needed it done again, i said no, i'd wait and see if he was ok for another few months, as i didn't want to keep putting him through surgery, and two years on he's been fine up till now, so you can see why i'm a little skeptical of their advice...! (he's 4 now and only had it done the once).

We're definitely off to the vet's tonight though, so thank you for your thoughts :) God, i'm never having children if a teency bunny can cause me this much worry!! :lol:

Back