• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

castration after care

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi all i took Alan in this morning to be done i feel sick keep looking at his cage its horrible have cleaned it all for him but what i need to know is what sould i not let him do when he comes home later he is a house rabbit who just stays in his cage at night, will he be dopey, will he have to be kept still, come on guys reasure me ive done the right thing cus at the minute im not sure xxx

Hi, I know how worrying a time it is when bun is at the vet having a GA - mine was in yesterday for Xrays and a dental. I'm sure Alan is going to be A-OK tho! :):wave:

Castration is pretty straightforward for male buns, they tend to bounce back quickly. He might be groggy when you collect him or wide awake and completely normal, anaesthetics are pretty advanced these days and I expect the nursing staff will get him eating and feeling awake before they let you come and get him. It is only a relatively minor op for boys.
If Alan has a blanket he sleeps on at home that hasn't been washed yet since you cleaned his cage I would pop that back in so it smells like home.

The main thing for buns post-op is to keep them warm and calm and PAIN RELIEF post-operatively. Please check this with your vet before you leave the clinic with him. You just need to tempt him once he is home with lots of nice tasty food, all his favourites, and keep an eye on his eating, drinking, and pooping. If by early morning he has not eaten anything or pooped he will probably need to pop back to the vet for some more pain relief/gut motility drugs, but I expect he will be absolutely fine. :)
I don't see that gentle exercise around the house when he comes home if he wants to will be a problem, will get his tummy going. It's only really females you want to prevent stretching their stitches by bouncing around the first day.

Don’t worry, you have done the best thing for him! I would make sure his bed is nice and comfy – some soft hay etc to snuggle in, and everything’s in easy reach for him. (Water etc). Maybe an old sweater or something of yours for him to sleep on if he dosent have a blanket. Will help keep him warm too. Our boy was very sleepy and a bit groggy, he just shuffled into his tray and slept for a few hours. When he seemed like he wanted to come out later, we let him out to play and he was fine.

You need to keep an eye to make sure he eats, drinks and Poos – we treated Soze to lots of nice herbs to tempt him – e.g parsley, thyme etc, and I waved it under his nose, and put it right next to him so he had it when he wanted it. He essentially got breakfast in bed, and was soon eating.

If he has a companion, put their cage adjacent so they can see each other.

I had my 4 boys done at the same time - one was bouncing around as soon as he woke up apparently :), 2 were a bit groggy but soon back to normal but one, although he had eaten a little at the vets didn't eat or poop when he came home so he had to go back for stasis treatment. It seems the majority of boy buns have no problem, but do keep an eye out that he's eating and pooping!

Let us know how he's doing :D

well Alan has been home for 4 hrs he is still very wobbley annd looking very sorry for himself he has not moved hope this is normal xx

Has he eaten or drunk yet? Or done any poops?

The vets usually like to see them eating and pooping before they'll let them home.

Sending lots of 'get well' vibes for him!:)

i am a bit worried today, he is pooing and weeing normal but doesnt seem to have eat anything in the night, what can i give him to temp him xx

Dandelions, fresh grass, any of his fav veg really as anything is better than nothing. Strong smelling herbs usually work for me. Also try waving it right in front of him as this can sometimes encorage them to eat.

Fresh herbs - basil and parsley are good ones, might tempt his appetite. Buttercup had never touched herbs before his op, and he was the one who wouldn't eat. The first thing he was tempted with was basil.:)

Keep an eye on him this morning, and call the vets if you haven't seen him eat by lunchtime to get their advice.:)

I'd say herbs too... Soze slept for a few hours groggily, till I virtually poked him on the nose with Basil & curly Parsley. Try curly Kale too, ours love that. He started nipping at it more out of annoyance, and ended up eating it happily :lol:

If its right next to them, or you feed it from your hand, its easier for him as he dosent have to move!

thanks for the advice i have tryed him with dandillion leaf he ate that hasnt touched the grass he just looks so sad il leave it till dinner time then if still no eating il phone the vet xx

Back