• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about neturing...

Hurri_Swords

Warren Scout
Charlotte is being done tomorrow. I am so scared she wont pull through, I just spent half hour stroking her and crying slightly. Any one got any tips for looking after her after, I all ready got her some puppy pads.

Just make sure that the Vet provides adequate pain relief after the op.

If your Vet questions this I suggest you let him/her read this :

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

She should have started to nibble food and poo/wee about 12 hours after surgery. So for example if the op is done at mid-day dont expect her to be pigging out on her tea if you have her home by 6pm !!
If she has not eaten or poo'd by first thing tomorrow morning you need to contact the Vet for advice.

A bowl of water rather than a bottle may encourage her to drink and a nice comfy quiet place to rest with a warm heatpad will help. If she is an outdoor Rabbit she will need to be kept indoors (in a non heated room) for at least the first night.

Her surgical wound needs checking twice a day and it should be clean and dry and not 'lumpy'

Good luck

Good luck for the op.
I hope all goes well.

It's just human nature to worry, just shows you love your bun xx

Feline will be neutered tomorrow as well.. I'm trying not to think about it, but it scares me to death.. Especially since it's anything but a standard procedure here in the Netherlands...

Good luck for tomorrow!

YAY!!! Charlotte is fine!!!! Shes just still sleeping off the anaesthetic. Got to pick her up at 4ish. Her hutch has been hovered and puppy pads are down. I kept checking if she is ok in her hutch forgeting she not there :( I want to give her a hug but I don't want to hurt her when she gets back.

HOw is she? Keep her warm as jane said, indoors (hot water bottle if u have one) and quiet. Keep tempting her with hay and her fave foods but dont worry if shes not interested in eating until tommorrow. Provide a bowl and a bottle of water and maybe even try bringing the bottle to her mouth if she doesnt seem to be drinking alot. She will probs be quite drowsy so i wouldnt let her run around until tommorrow. Hope shes ok xxx

She back now, still very drowsy. The vet (nurse) told me to try baby food with a syrinage if she doesnt start eating by later on to night. She said her bunnies like leek and potato. She is just sitting and staring. She has a bowl of food, some apple, yogart treats, bowl of water and her bottle and treats her hamster friend has given her.

Edit : Her belly look really sore, I feel bad for putting her in pain.

Not sure about the leek and potatoe tbh - rabbits are not supposed to have leeks. I would stick to hay and her normal food and some herbs, feed them wet so she is getting some moisture aswell, cucumber is a good one for getting fluid into her. Try to stay calm and let her sleep, she needs her rest now.

She back now, still very drowsy. The vet (nurse) told me to try baby food with a syrinage if she doesnt start eating by later on to night. She said her bunnies like leek and potato. She is just sitting and staring. She has a bowl of food, some apple, yogart treats, bowl of water and her bottle and treats her hamster friend has given her.

Edit : Her belly look really sore, I feel bad for putting her in pain.

Don't feel bad! It had to be done, or she would have got cancer, so you absolutely did the right thing. She'll have forgotten all about this in a week or 2. :D

Now you can get her a husbun anyway... ;)

Don't feel bad! It had to be done, or she would have got cancer, so you absolutely did the right thing. She'll have forgotten all about this in a week or 2. :D

Now you can get her a husbun anyway... ;)
I want to get her a husbun but we don't have to space just yet, but as soon as I get a bigger place I'll get her one from a shelter.

She just jumped across the hutch then when back in to a dazze.

awww thats good shes ok

and nooo dont feel bad youve done the best thing for her

Im soooo scared for when mine will have hers done but I keep telling myself its for the best and cos I love her

leek and potato not that good an idea leek isn't great for bunnies i always use banana surprise or mango surpirise failing that i blend some banana in the smoothie maker with some banana juice if they aren't eating but sure she'll be fine tempt her with all her favourites and keep her nice and warm and quiet

awww thats good shes ok

and nooo dont feel bad youve done the best thing for her

Im soooo scared for when mine will have hers done but I keep telling myself its for the best and cos I love her
It took me ages to get her booked in I new I had to but I finally got round to booking it just in time for my vets to have and offer on all bunny health. And I booked for nearly the end of the offer so I knew they had lots of practise :D

She just had half a syrinage of mushed up apple and a nibble of hay!!! But shes defently in a mood with me.

leek and potato not that good an idea leek isn't great for bunnies i always use banana surprise or mango surpirise failing that i blend some banana in the smoothie maker with some banana juice if they aren't eating but sure she'll be fine tempt her with all her favourites and keep her nice and warm and quiet
I couldn't get her any anyway, lol. Dam shop only sells roast dinner baby food (either Turkey, beef or lamb) so it was mushed up apple

It took me ages to get her booked in I new I had to but I finally got round to booking it just in time for my vets to have and offer on all bunny health. And I booked for nearly the end of the offer so I knew they had lots of practise :D

She just had half a syrinage of mushed up apple and a nibble of hay!!! But shes defently in a mood with me.

awww bless her being in a mood haha, she doesnt realise though its for her own good :)

awww bless her being in a mood haha, she doesnt realise though its for her own good :)

They never do :roll::lol:

Glad it all went well, just wanted to say that unless she definitely can't get to the puppy pads or unless you're going to watch her all night, I'd take them out. My Vinnie decided that they would be very tasty and as they're super-absorbant I can't imagine it's good for their insides! I've always used old towels for spayed buns as they love to snuggle in and although they like to chew them, they don't really eat them.

Back