• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know of any treatment for blindness? U/d 29th

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
I've been checking my old grandad bun Malone for the last couple of weeks and it seems that his right pupil is larger than the left. It also has that bluey opal look to it when the light hits it. I will of course take him to the vets but is there any treatment anyone knows of or is it just a case of old age?
I already have to wash his bum every other day and supervise him when he's out running. Is there anything else i can do to make life that little more easy for him?

Last edited:
Sorry I have no advice but my deaf bun Starbuck also has a slight bluey opal look in one of his eyes and although I know he can definitely see I wonder if his eyesight is affected in some way. So I will be looking at this thread with interest to see what people say...

Hope your bun manages ok, bless him.

I will keep it updated, going to try and get in the vets tomorrow as i'm already there with one of my rats.Think i need shares in that place.:lol:

sounds like cateracts which wont cause him pain but means he wont see so well there are currently no treatments i am aware of i have a nearly bind bunny(coco) who is 8years old roughly now he copes fine though and can see some things at a distance he cannot see things close up x

Just to update you all, i've been to the vets today and it looks like he has a cataract in each eye. The right one is larger than the left and his vision is reduced in both of them. The only advice the vet could offer was to keep a close eye on him and make sure his bowl and bottle stay in the same place. When it gets worse he will have to be supervised having a run so he doesn't bump into anything.
Bless my poor grandad, he's so active too.:love:

Aww I am glad you know now what is wrong and how to manage it, but sorry to hear that your bun has cataracts. I hope he manages ok. (You know that means more fuss dont you?!! :D)

Back