• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding rabbits

I've noticed after joining some other forums that not everyone is as pro bunny bonding as I'd have thought... some people even calling bonding cruel! That surprises me as I personally thought that rabbits were much happier in bonded pairs or groups. I understand that its not possible for every rabbit to be bonded, and there are some who prefer being alone, but some people aren't even willing to try. I even had a PM on one forum advising me to seperate my rabbits before they eventually kill one enother!

After seeing my rabbits together happily grooming, playing and sharing food I think I'll stick with bonded pairs. I love watching them exhibit natural behaviour, and if they prefer the company of the husbun or wifebun to me, then thats just fine!!

oh dear :shock:, can't believe someone sent you a message saying to separate your buns :shock:

ive always kept bunnies in pairs :love: and love them grooming each other too
look at rosie, she's had 3 different husbuns :lol:

i only bonded my 2 girls about 6weeks ago and the are so much more happier than when they lived alone. :love:
yes some rabbits prefer to live alone but until youve given them the chance how do you know?????

Breeders tend to say that kind of thing to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing keeping solo buns and not neutering :roll:

I think some may be against because of their own maybe one time bad expierence, Im sure those who have been doing it for years would disagree at saying bonding is cruel, I havent been doing it for years but the time I did do it, I only had one fail the rest, made my short time job very worthwhile, bunnies are social animals those who say its wrong, are wrong I feel, and are just thinking about themselves and not the rabbit

yes sometimes bonding doesnt work even if everything has been done correctly, quite a few cases fail because it isnt done correctly, And you do get the odd unbondable either through agression, or they just prefere hoomins, thats fine, but to preach its cruel is just daft,

Bunny bonding rules! Cant believe someone said that to u, theyre obviously uneducated when it comes to buns. We all know buns are much happier in pairs or groups xxxx

what a shame its not seen as a good thing. id like them to tell my Alvin he has to give up his new bride and live life with just us humans. i dont think he would let them survive :D

i do think if theyve never had a bond they can live very happily if they are human orientated. but because ive only known Alvin i dont know what a human orientated bun is like :lol::lol:

It strikes me that people who think that must be bonding in tact bunnies. :?

yep and as someone else said some breeders to justify their small hutches, course most buns are going to fight in small cramped cages with smells of other bunnies near by that are not neutered

I think it depends on the bun and their personality... my Smokey and Bandit are so close and they go into a sulk/mild depression if I separate them, even just briefly..... but Flopsy HATES all other rabbits that he's met and ALWAYS tries to attack them. I do want to bond him with a female, but I just dont trust him! I don't even like playing with him sometimes because he gets too dominant and bites me, so I dread to think what he'd do to a fellow bun!

I think it depends on the bun and their personality... my Smokey and Bandit are so close and they go into a sulk/mild depression if I separate them, even just briefly..... but Flopsy HATES all other rabbits that he's met and ALWAYS tries to attack them. I do want to bond him with a female, but I just dont trust him! I don't even like playing with him sometimes because he gets too dominant and bites me, so I dread to think what he'd do to a fellow bun!

My two sulk if parted, even for a few minutes. It would be so cruel to separate them. If anyone ever said to me that my bunnies would be better off apart I would rip into them, I really would, and I'm not normally that kind of person.

Back