• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate need for bunny vibes :( U/D: RIP Smooch :(

KTJ

Alpha Buck
I noticed yesterday that one of my bunnies from the accidental litter wasn't walking properly, but every now and again he was putting weight on it, and even stretching his leg out, he was eating and drinking and pooping and didn't seem in any pain, so I kept him in overnight to limit the space he had to prevent him from making it worse. I rang up the vets at 8.30 this morning and took him and Furby (the other male, as they are separated from their sisters) and the vet who we saw (who is amazing) has had a feel and said he's either dislocated or broken his leg :cry:
I burst into tears then and there because I feel like I let Smooch down, and should've taken him yesterday, but the vet said that they probably wouldn't have been able to X-ray him or anything anyway, and I had done the right thing by restricting his space and bringing him in.
So Smooch is now at the vets having a GA (which is a risk on it's own) so he can have an x-ray. I'm expecting a call later this afternoon. I know Smooch is in the very best hands, and I'm SO glad I got the vet who I wanted to see, but still, I cant help but blame myself for Smooch's pain, and he's just so small and fragile :(
Anyway, none of my family really understand how upsetting it is, but I know a lot of people on this forum have been in a similar position, so if anyone has any spare vibes for my Smooch, then they would be very much appreciated xxxxx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this :( I have a vet appointment this afternoon for Smudge for something very similar to what you've described for Smooch, now it's got me worried :?

Sending you good vibes for his xray and whatever further treatment the vet considers best for him x

Thankyou for your vibes, they really are appreciated.

Tigerangel- I really hope your bun is ok. I did consider taking Smooch to the emergency vets yesterday, but as he seemed in no pain, eating, drinking, going to the toilet, and occassionally stretching on it and walking on it, I decided I'd take him today. I never thought it was anything so serious else I would've whipped him up and taken him as soon as I noticed. Telling you not to worry is the most useless thing I could possibly say, just let me know how your bun gets on today, Im sending ur bun lots of vibes xxx

Urgent Advice Needed :(

Oh dear God, I can't stop crying. I can barely see.
The vet just rang and said Smooch has broken his leg really badly in 2 places and either needs to be put to sleep, or have risky surgery to correct it, which carries a very high risk. I feel sick, I can't breathe, I dont know what to do. I dont care that it'll cost nearly £400, I can use my student loan to pay for it, I'd pay anything for my animals, but I just can't put him through hours of surgery, that may not even be successful.

PLEASE can someone tell me Im doing the right thing by suggesting he goes to the Bridge? I literally can't stop crying, I need some help, advice, reassurance, anything.

He's only 12 weeks old and he's so small and fragile, I really cannot put him through the surgery. He'll need to be confined in a really small cage for up to 6 weeks after, and I just can't do it to him.

Hun, you know your buns and your situation best. If you feel its right then it is right. IMO its never wrong to PTS because you are ending any suffering and pain, whereas all other options always carry some risk and pain.

If it has to be amputated, can he not have it splinted and be confined until he is bigger and stronger and more able to cope with the op? no idea if that works, just a suggestion.

One of my bunnies had her leg amputated at 5 weeks and came through it really well :)

But as Vikki says, you know your bunny best and what they can cope with.

Thinking of you x

At 12 weeks old he is mature in terms of organ function so a GA is not significantly higher risk than in an adult.
I would talk to your vet about options
- would they refer him to another vet who would be more confident doing the surgery so surgery is faster and therefore safer?
- if not and they are not confident of a good outcome then would they consider amputation? (this is a quicker and less technically demanding surgery and wouldn't need him confined for long after surgery)
Marie

Thankyou for your replies.

I made the decision to let Smooch go, and I feel like the worst person alive, I can't stop crying. Deep down, I do know it was for the best, but I am completely devastated.
Unfortunately he couldnt have been splinted until he was older as one of the two breakages was really bad and wouldve needed extensive surgery to repair, and even then, he's so young, his bones aren't fully developed that there was a risk that they would just fracture again whilst healing. I just couldnt put him through it. If I was being selfish and only thinking of me, I'd have had him in for the operation as soon as possible... but his quality of life (that's IF he had pulled through the operation) would've been terrible. The pain, the constant trips to the vets, the confined cage, the medication, just everything seemed too much to put on such a young, small animal.

I do hope everyone can see where I am coming from, and believe me, no one feels worse than I do about the decision I made. It's one Ive never had to make before, and one I hope never to have to do again.

I just collected Furby from the vets, so will be needing advice on what to do with him next... like when can he be put with a friend? Is it advisable to keep him in with me for a while until he realises Smooch won't be coming back? He is only 12 weeks old and hasnt been neutered yet so cant be put back with his 2 sisters :(

Any advice would be great as I feel numb right now. :cry:

At 12 weeks old he is mature in terms of organ function so a GA is not significantly higher risk than in an adult.
I would talk to your vet about options
- would they refer him to another vet who would be more confident doing the surgery so surgery is faster and therefore safer?
- if not and they are not confident of a good outcome then would they consider amputation? (this is a quicker and less technically demanding surgery and wouldn't need him confined for long after surgery)
Marie

Thankyou veyr much for your advice. The vet who would've done the surgery was the vet I saw today and he is fantastic, I would even trust him to perform heart surgery on me, that's how brilliant he is. The only peace of mind I have right now is that he said I had made the right decision for Smooch xx

Back