• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I take my buns on an aeroplane?

I am possibly being relocated to Canada with work and would like to take my rabbits with me. Would they be ok to go on a flight for 8.5 hours? I don't like the idea of having to leave them behind but I don't want anything bad to happen to them :(

I checked this recently, Air Canada allow pets in suitable carriers in the cabin if the carrier can fit under the seat in front. Worth contacting them for more details. Otherwise there are several companies that do pet relocation..

There have been people on this forum who have moved abroad, they I believe have taken the option of either by road or by boat to transport their rabbits.

Hiya,
im not sure what the rules are about taking ur buns into the cabin with you. If the only option is them travelling in the hold for 8.5 hrs, id think this was far too stressful for them. The loud noises, strange smells, ear popping etc accompanied by the wait at the airport woul be pretty terrifying for them i think.
Are you moving to canada long term? If not could you get someone to foster them until you came back maybe?
Sorry im not much help, im sure someone who knows more about this will reply soon xxx:wave:

Hi all

Thank you for all your replies. I contacted a pet relocation company last week and they said that they can take them, they would go in a special part of the hold that has the same conditions as the cabin but my main concern is if this would be too much for them.

I am going permanently. I could give them back to the lady I got them from, she has a small menagerie at her home so I know they would be well cared for but I would really like them to come with me.

I think taking them in the cabin with me wouldn't work, they would be very cramped in a small box for that amount of time.

I checked this recently, Air Canada allow pets in suitable carriers in the cabin if the carrier can fit under the seat in front. Worth contacting them for more details. Otherwise there are several companies that do pet relocation..
check which pets are allowed as not all are. I work for an airline and we allow cats, dogs and household birds only in the cabin - nothing else. Bunnies can travel as checked luggage.

As for pet relocation, I would recommend Airpets Oceanics from Heathrow.

p.s. we have sent loads of cats, dogs, a fair few bunnies and even hamsters - the latter on an 11 hour flight to Los Angeles. I phoned the family to make sure it got there OK (after it overnighted at my house waiting for suitable transport accomodation) and it did :D

I had a rabbit come into rescue last year as the family moved over here from New Zealand and had their bun flown over unfortunately her husband got made redundant and he could only get a job in Austrailia so they had to leave Sparkle behind as they don't let bunnies in:?

There was a bunny at the boarding place I use and I was really confused when then owner was telling me it was a polish rabbit when it was quite clearly a dwarf lop. I then realised he meant her owners had brought her with them when they moved here from Poland.

:wave:I flew my bunnies from the US to France a couple of years ago. They were mildly stressed but were otherwise fine. I am also flying them back to the US at the end of this year. I haven't found any airlines that allow rabbits in the cabin but they do travel in a temperature and pressure controlled area. I actually think this is better because they aren't shoved under a seat in a tiny carrier. Mine traveled in a medium-size vari-kennel and had plenty of room to stretch out. I used a pet transport company and had fabulous service but going back I will be doing it myself and will end up saving several thousand pounds:shock:

check which pets are allowed as not all are. I work for an airline and we allow cats, dogs and household birds only in the cabin - nothing else. Bunnies can travel as checked luggage.

As for pet relocation, I would recommend Airpets Oceanics from Heathrow.

p.s. we have sent loads of cats, dogs, a fair few bunnies and even hamsters - the latter on an 11 hour flight to Los Angeles. I phoned the family to make sure it got there OK (after it overnighted at my house waiting for suitable transport accomodation) and it did :D

We don't allow any animals in the cabin, - would prefer them to some of people! :lol: We allow assistance animals though, David Blunkets dog is very nice :)

Us moving abroad is a possible option for us in the near future so we've had to think about what we'd do with the buns. Luvabun always has brill advice on the subject and the pet relocation companies seem to do a good service :)

Back