• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is it worth a trip to the vets ?

pennypoos

Mama Doe
this morning i came down to find penny flopped out at the back door, and thought to myself " aww bless she must be happy". But then she began to move around as if she couldn`t get compfy, and would sit up then flop out, and she did this several times. She then got up and flopped out in her litter try and began to shiver. I went over to her and gave her a stroke and she began to shiver even more and she started to kick her back leg out, the same as a dog does when it is enjoying being stroked. Any way i gave some basil to her and she wouldn`t eat it, which is not like her at all, she normally nearly has my hand off at the offer of basil. she just sat there hunched up and looking very sorry for her self. But after about half an hour or so, she ate the basil and some colliflouer and some pellets and had a drink, which was a relief. She is also pooing and weeing normally. and is back to hopping around as usual. when i got home from picking my daughter up from play group i noticed that she had done a wee in the middle of the kitchen floor. she never does this and alway goes in her litter try. Do you think it might be worth taking her to get checked over by the vet, or shall i just see how she gets on ? she seems to be ok now, im not sure what to do :?. thanks. :)

Amanda x

Hi I am new to all this and no expert but you really do need to take your rabbit to the vet, my rabbit did the same a few months ago but stopped eating totally, she had a bladder stone so is worth a trip. Hope your rabbit is on the mend soon.

Just got back from the vets, she couldn`t find anything wrong with her, other than she said she had a bit of fluid in her gut. she gave her an injection of baytrill, and she gave me some to bring home to give her over the next three days.
she seems to be ok now, it just seemed a bit strange that one minute she seemed realy ill and the next she was back to her usual self.

Hmm thats very strange. Im no expert but it could be a UTI as she weed in an unusual place and was showing signs of abdominal discomfort. If it is that the baytril should sort it out.
Its good news that shes eating, drinking and pooping as normal. Keep a close eye on her and if she stops eating again get her to the vets asap.
Sounds like shes doing great now though :)

Hmm thats very strange. Im no expert but it could be a UTI as she weed in an unusual place and was showing signs of abdominal discomfort. If it is that the baytril should sort it out.
Its good news that shes eating, drinking and pooping as normal. Keep a close eye on her and if she stops eating again get her to the vets asap.
Sounds like shes doing great now though :)

i thought somthing along those lines when i got home and found the wee on the floor. Im back at the vets on friday morning to get penny`s myxi jab, and the appointment is with the rabbit vet, so while im there i`ll ask her to have a look at her. :wave:

Is that all your vet gave? Baytril? :?

Has your bun eaten anything today and done any droppings? If not, then baytril is certainly not sufficient and I would be concerned at how knowledgeable your vet is re. rabbits. Generally if a rabbit presents with no appetite, abdominal pain (getting up and lying down) peeing on the floor, the very minimum would be adminstering pain relief, sub-cutaneous fluids if bun is remotely dehyrdated, and often gut motility medication also.
If your bun is no better and is not eating/doing droppings this evening she really needs to go back to a vet TONIGHT.

ETA I must be blind sorry... your post explains she has eaten and drunk and relieved herself... so sorry. Just keep a very close eye on her tonight that she continues to do so. :wave:

Is that all your vet gave? Baytril? :?

Has your bun eaten anything today and done any droppings? If not, then baytril is certainly not sufficient and I would be concerned at how knowledgeable your vet is re. rabbits. Generally if a rabbit presents with no appetite, abdominal pain (getting up and lying down) peeing on the floor, the very minimum would be adminstering pain relief, sub-cutaneous fluids if bun is remotely dehyrdated, and often gut motility medication also.
If your bun is no better and is not eating/doing droppings this evening she really needs to go back to a vet TONIGHT.

ETA I must be blind sorry... your post explains she has eaten and drunk and relieved herself... so sorry. Just keep a very close eye on her tonight that she continues to do so. :wave:

hi, sorry forgot to add, the vet also gave her an injection of metacam, and she gave me some to bring home aswell. penny is still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing. the veterinary surgery that i go to does have a rabbit vet, she was recomended to me by the local rabbit rescue. It must have been her day off today because i saw a different vet. penny has another appointment with the vet on friday for her myxi jab and the appointment is with her then. i will continue to keep an eye on penny and if i see a change for the worse i will take her streight back, but at the mo she seem`s to be ok. :)

Back