• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling with sore hocks

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
All my hutches have carpet in, until recently when i noticed Bo had developed sore hocks, so i put him and Tif onto a deep bed of hay and only exercise on grass.

I noticed tonight when doing Lotties nails, she has one sore hock, now Lottie has soooo much fur on her feet, i was kind of suprised.

I am now thinking if the carpet is too harsh?

ETA - Bo's hocks are much much better, the bruising has almost dissapeared! :D

I have Carpet in my Bunnies room. Inca gets one sore hock from time to time. I manage to keep it looking fine with a thin layer of sudocream applied twice daily (just need to rub it in well to the red area)

Charlies in my bedroom which is obviously mostly carpet, so in his dog pen he has those foam tiles.
When he was in his hutch, I put down a fairly soft towel and made a layer of hay that was about 3-4 inches thick.
Used sudocrem on an evening and wrapped him up in a really soft blankey while it soaked in

I think carpet is too harsh for some bunnies Nat but not all of them.

Noah our REW suffers with them sometimes - we either use sudocream or savlon advanced gel (Jacks-Jane uses SAG for Lady Lydia's). I think aloe vera can also help :)

Some of them are fine, but i have recently noticed two of them are showing signs. Just looking at other alternatives really.

I wonder if i could do a big order of the foam tiles but then i am worried they will chew them?

Or perhaps rubber matting once i have my new hutches? :shock:

Last time I took Mini for her jab which was beginning of this month vet said she had sore hocks. Reddish, not broken but inflammed.

He suggested witchhazel as it hardens the skin, which we did, you have to be careful not to let them lick it though as it is dangerous if ingested so we hold her until it's dry. Only done it about three times in total. I also put down a duvet on the carpet in the area they use the most and also old pillowcases over their vetbed. Keeping nails short helps too.

They are already looking heaps better.

Last time I took Mini for her jab which was beginning of this month vet said she had sore hocks. Reddish, not broken but inflammed.

He suggested witchhazel as it hardens the skin, which we did, you have to be careful not to let them lick it though as it is dangerous if ingested so we hold her until it's dry. Only done it about three times in total. I also put down a duvet on the carpet in the area they use the most and also old pillowcases over their vetbed. Keeping nails short helps too.

They are already looking heaps better.

Thanks for that.
Bo's really are looking better since using a deep bed of hay and time in the run on the grass only.

I read keeping nails short was key, hence the nail clipping last night :)

I aint too sure? Wonder if it would?

I swear they will just eat the foam tiles.

I've made sure Charlie can't get to any corners of his (he tried to eat one before) but I'm not sure that'd be possible in a hutch? :? Unless you added like a skirting board type thing around it

Ours would probably eat them too Nat :roll: :lol:

I think if the lino was quite thick it might be a bit more cushioned & softer - be easier to keep clean too :)

I've made sure Charlie can't get to any corners of his (he tried to eat one before) but I'm not sure that'd be possible in a hutch? :? Unless you added like a skirting board type thing around it

i couldnt guarantee it because my hutches have funny bits of wood inside, they arent just straight wood all way around if that makes sense?

Ours would probably eat them too Nat :roll: :lol:

I think if the lino was quite thick it might be a bit more cushioned & softer - be easier to keep clean too :)

could be a good idea.. now to look for thich cushioned lino for the rabbits :shock: hahaha..

going to have to fit it perfect though, because last time they ate it :roll:

could be a good idea.. now to look for thich cushioned lino for the rabbits :shock: hahaha..

going to have to fit it perfect though, because last time they ate it :roll:

You'll probably get the same looks like I got last time I went to buy lino for the bunnies :oops: :lol:

Could you seal it down with some thin wooden beading on top of the lino - save little teeth getting to the edges?

I'm not sure how well lino would work. Thick hay is the best thing for sore hocks. The reason they get sore hocks is because on hard surfaces the front claws can't sink into the ground as they are designed to do in the wild, therefore putting pressure on the back of the foot. With hay the front of the feet can sink in which is the natural way for a rabbit to walk. I can't see that lino would allow the front of the foot to sink in further than the back :?

I'm not sure how well lino would work. Thick hay is the best thing for sore hocks. The reason they get sore hocks is because on hard surfaces the front claws can't sink into the ground as they are designed to do in the wild, therefore putting pressure on the back of the foot. With hay the front of the feet can sink in which is the natural way for a rabbit to walk. I can't see that lino would allow the front of the foot to sink in further than the back :?

thanks Liz.
any tips on litter tray whilst on bed of thick hay.
because tiffany and bo are disgusting to be honest! :lol:

Back