• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 bonded girls that are pregnant / we have babies

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
2 girls that we suspect are both pregnant if i leave them together would they harm each others young:? or should i split them up:(
advice appreciated please:D:D

Last edited:
I would separate them for sure. They may become aggressive to each other.

I've had two bonded bunnys had an unexpected litter in the cage, they became very aggressive with each other and i didn't know which the litter belonged too.

So if you get a fall out after the birth, how will you know which litter is which?

I ended up taking out the one i though was not the mother- About two days later the litter died. I don't know if i made the wrong decision. I had to choose and it was dreadful to make that decision.

I didn't know that much back then about rabbits as i do now unfortunately. I would definitely do this, you will be able to bond them back together afterwards no doubt. I have re bonded one of my daughters who had a litter with her mother and she is happy again.

Last edited:
Split them, i had two pregnant sisters and the day before they gave birth they had a massive fight :(

If I suspected they were pregnant I'm afraid I would probably leave them together but book them both in for an emergency spay :( At least that way they could stay bonded if they are good friends at the moment.

even tho you could definetly feel the babies :cry:i dont think i could do that i think they are too far gone also i think the dental girl is pregnant to:cry::cry:

even tho you could definetly feel the babies :cry:i dont think i could do that i think they are too far gone also i think the dental girl is pregnant to:cry::cry:

I think I would definitely get the dental girl spayed, she doesn't look as far gone and doesn't look in great health so babies would be a huge strain on her...as for the other two it is down to you and your vet to decide :(

Yeah I'd take them to the vet and discuss with them - I think sometimes you can convince yourself that something is the case but a more experienced pair of hands may be able to confirm or tell if it's just thickening of the womb and not a heavily advanced pregnancy, for example. I think it's worth at least letting a vet have a feel and make a judgement call. Not an easy situation though :(

I had two bunnies that an old neighbour bred when I was younger - they had bred their male to both of their females, left the females in together and they shared a nest and both fed all of the babies. Obviously, I wasn't there and I don't know if the fought or not but all the babies survivied except for two still borns.

I think this is the exception though. I think I'd seperate them. It's not worth the risk.

Can you spay a pregnant rabbit- i thought that would cause more stress on the bunny?

Yep I've had a pregnant bun spayed before :( It's not ideal by a long shot, but as long as the vet is experienced at spays it should be fine. The later it gets the more blood there is around the womb so they do have to be particularly careful which is why it's good to check that the vet is aware of the situation before going ahead. I don't think it's any more stressful on the bunny than raising and feeding a litter, especially if the bun isn't in good health to start with.

It's such a tricky balance between preventing more bunnies, or bringing more bunnies into the world when there are already bunnies being pts because there aren't enough homes for the ones that already exist :(

Yes you can spey a pregnant rabbit as long as they aren't too far gone.

Although I am very wary after a vet attempted to do an emergency spey on one of my foster buns only to find after he had opened her up that she was too far gone to spey. :cry::cry::cry:

when ive felt before and thought a bunny was pregnant ive never been wrong even my vet told me a doe wasnt pregnant after i thought she was and she gave birth 24 hours lata:shock:

I dont think i'd risk the spey tbh :( Especially if theyre quite far gone. If theyre only a week or so gone, then fair enough, i agree it would be best to spey them. Hope they will all be ok.

In answer to your question Caroline, id probably seperate. Can you seperate them so they can still smell/see each other? xXx

I hope this doesnt go into a big debate about emergency speying:shock: my question was should i split the bonded girls up which has now been answered, will keep you all posted on how we get on tomorrow with them ive named the dental girl delilah and now just have to think of names for the other 2:D:D:D

delilah the dental girl has seen the vet this morning,she has had her teeth clipped and the vet said she is pregnant, but given her condition at the moment he thinks she is too far gone, she is underweight so emergency spey is not an option unfortunately:cry:

so im gonna feed her up and just hope that it all goes smoothly for her

I have two bonded girls with a litter at the moment. They both nurse, lick and protect the young (from me :) ) In an ideal world we would have separated them first probably but the kits were already here when they came in to rescue.

Back