• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure what to do....

rachy rabbit

Young Bun
Hi there,

My Buster has hurt her leg :cry: She injured it by jumping up her ramp in a hurry on Fri eve. I knew there was something wrong because she wouldn't use her left leg - there was no blood or obvious injury to the leg but she was clearly not comfortable on it. My original thought was to rush her to the vets, but the problem is she gets sooo stressed out by visiting the vets and I have previously taken her to the vets only for her to be fine hopping round the table when i have got there! So i put her in her hutch only and thought I would see how she was in the morning after a rest. Saturday morning she was still not putting much weight on the leg although she was happily eating, drinking, cleaning herself and acting completely normal. Unfortunatley I had a wedding I coud not miss so I had a friend come round to keep an eye on her and again we left her in the hutch to rest the leg. I have an appointment booked for the vets tomorrow morning. However today I have let her out of her hutch and she is looking a lot happier on the leg, putting some weight on it, running, hoping, having a thorough wash and even a little flick of the bum although she does not look 100% comfortable on it there is a definite improvement. She is already going to the vets on Sat for her VHD injection so I am not sure whether to risk taking her to the vets and stressing her out or to wait until Sat when we are having to go anyway. When she goes to the vets it is a real struggle to get her into her carrier (I am worried that in itself is enough to cause more damage to her leg) as she hates travelling, hates being picked up and we always have difficulties getting her to the vets. Once we have been she tends to go off her food and she is visibly distressed in the car. I'm just not sure what to do!!

Thanks for any advice.

P.S I am changing her accommodation imediatley so she no longer has to use a ramp.

That is an idea, although then her and her husbun Smudge will be out of sinc with their jabs and not too sure the vets will be able to do it there and then if its not booked in? Xx

A week apart won't matter at all :) Or you could take him along too, I imagine they can do it right away, you could always call before you go.

the vet should have the vaccinations ready anyway, just call ahead. I would also imagine having a vaccination done a few days earlier wouldn't really put things out of sync for next year

So is it ok for bunnies to have their VHD jab early? Only I was going to ask the vet this when i spoke to them tomorrow anyway as we have booked both bunnies in for this Sat and then we got a reminder through from the vets for the jabs and their not actually due until the 16th May so we are already booked in too early for them?

I agree with the advice above but just wanted to add a note - have either of the buns had their myxi jabs within the last two weeks? As the VHD jab can't be done within a fortnight of it, and a lot of people get one done and the other straight after, which is when your reminders would come in. :)

Thanks for all your advice! Buster had been to vets this morning and the vet had a play with her leg, altho whilst at the vets she had a good run around & seemed to have no problems so they gave her an anti inflammatry & pain killer as a precaution. Wen we get home she holds her leg up again! Typical!! Fortunatley she had her myxi 2 weeks ago so they were able to give her the vhd jab so no need for another visit on sat.

Thanks for your help! Now I jus need to get buster to like me again!

Rach

Back