• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What more can I do?

KTJ

Alpha Buck
I feel bad for posting so many things/starting threads over the last couple of days, but today I've been mainly up the garden cleaning all the hutches out. Bandita, my female silver fox just doesnt "seem right". I have picked her up (and gained a few scratches along the way) and there is nothing at all that seems abnormal, other than the fact she keeps lying down in places she's never lay before with her legs flat out behind her with Smokey her male partner lay right beside her with his head on top of hers. Now however cute this sounds, it's not normal. They are very well bonded and adore eachother, but something tells me she's not herself. I've never had any problems with any of my rabbits, none needing dentals, none needing long-term medication etc so at the first sense of something being wrong, I panick :( Is there anything more you think I should be doing? Or just take her for a check-up tomorrow morning? I don't think she needs to be seen urgently as she was eating carrot earlier and was able to run away from my grasp quick enough, but I just want to reassure myself I'm doing the right thing....

When did she last eat and poop? and how much?
I suspect she may be heading into GI stasis with what you describe... or perhaps the beginnings of it. If she does not eat or do any droppings by this evening she will need to see a vet tonight.

as long as she is normal apart from what you thinks not normal (wee/poo/eating/drinking/moving) then yeah vet tomorrow however crazy you sound you know when somethings not right otherwise any stopping of the above emergency vets asap.
we know when our pets aren't well!

Oh God, I hope it's not stasis, I've read so many heart-breaking stories on this forum from people with rabbits who had that :(
Bandita is an outdoors bun so despite there being poo's, I can't tell if she's been to the toilet or Smokey... but I am going out to watch them in the run now to see if she goes. Also, as she's in a hutch with Smokes, I can't tell who's been eating the food or the hay. She did munch on a bit of carrot today whilst I was cleaning out one of the other hutches, but like I said, I can just "feel" that something is not right. Will be back in a bit to update on her... and thankyou for your replies, it means so much xxxx

Well I've just been and put Bandita in the run with some hay and water, and she hopped around for a bit, then sat and ate the hay.... I watched her have a bit of water too, and then when Smokey was put in with her, she began mounting him and then they started playing, I guess it's me who's just simply going CRAZY, because Bandita seems fine which is soo confusing! Sorry for wasting a thread, but earlier she really panicked me! Thanks again for the advice xxx

Back