• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbits eye is inflammed.. Does he need to see the vets? Pics included

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
:wave:I went too feed my rabbit this morning and i always check his eyes etc and his eye looked like this..now im really worried what could it be? He has had his Myxy Injection but he hasnt had a vhd injection because my vet doesent reccommend it.. I havent bathed it or aything because im too scared too touch it incase i hurt him :( Anybody know what it could be? Does he need to see a vet? Thanks :)

029.jpg

026-1.jpg

010.jpg

021.jpg

017.jpg

He was myxy vaccinated about 3 weeks ago, his ears are quite warm.. Well im not sure why but my vet said that Bugsy wouldnt be a candidate for the vhd injection and he said its because its something to do only with baby rabbits.. =/ Yes it is just the on eye, the other one is sore too but not as bad as that ?

He was myxy vaccinated about 3 weeks ago, his ears are quite warm.. Well im not sure why but my vet said that Bugsy wouldnt be a candidate for the vhd injection and he said its because its something to do only with baby rabbits.. =/ Yes it is just the on eye, the other one is sore too but not as bad as that ?

I think your Vet needs to update his/her knowledge................. :?

Is it the same Vet who gave the Myxi Vaccination ?

Have you checked your Rabbits genitals to see if they are inflammed ?

Is he sneezing at all ?

Yeah it was the same vet that gave him his Myxy jab...
He wont let me pick him up hes really jumpy so i cant check.. no hes not sneezing.. What do you think?

Last edited:
He does need to be seen by a Vet but personally I would not want to consult the one who appears to have little knowledge about Rabbits.

If the Vet did not administer the Mxyi vaccination correctly ( ie 10% into the dermis) then your Rabbit will not be fully protected. And of course even correctly vaccinated Rabbits can contract Myxi, usually the nodular form and they stand a good chance of responding to treatment.

Your Rabbit may have a simple bilateral conjunctivitis. But the warm ears are a worry as this *might* indicate that it's Myxomatosis. Hence my asking you about checking his genitals for inflammation.

So in short I would get your Rabbit booked in to see a Bunny Savvy Vet ASAP.

I dont know of any rabbit savvy vets.. Ive posted though asking for one near me.. Jw though does it look like myxy? i hope its not :mad:

Me too :( My mum will take him too the vets 2moro but unfortuantely he will have to go to the vet who isnt rabbit savvy =/
He seems too know what hes talking about though sometimes because he told me that he hates it when people dont get their rabbits myxy vaccinated because once they get myxy they proberly wont make it.. ohh i dunno wish i had a rabbit savvy vet around here,,, Thanks though :)

Back