• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you let your buns free-range outside?

Do you let your buns free-range outside?

• Yes unsupervised

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Yes but only supervised at all times

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • No they never free-range

Votes: 19 27.9%

• Total voters

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Poll: Question in the title....

Just wondering as Im arranging my set up for outside with a shed and run but would love the buns to free-range as well..where the shed is going to be wont see much direct sunlight and is on concrete so would love to let them out for a run about on the grass because lets face it - no matter how big the run - they can never have a proper sprint / binky session!
(Oreo especially has mega mad dashes! and as some as you may remember is an escape artist!!! :roll: so will have to doubly doubly make sure the garden is bunny proofed!!!)

The only thing that bothers me is I have LOADS of cats in the neighbourhood - can cats do any harm? I know a stupid question - but has anyone had any evidence of a cat injuring a bun? would I be able to stop a cat if it suddenly got in the garden? :? I know there is the threat of foxes as well!!

I guess its a weigh up between the risk of injury from predators etc against the buns having freedom and binky time which they love!!

Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't got a garden yet but when I do, I will only let Beau be out freeranging with me watching, even if it is bunny-proofed.

If there is a real risk of cats and foxes then I would allow them out supervised only, but have a large run for them when you are not able to supervise them. Cats can be dangerous, more so depending on the size of your bunnies, but even if they don't show interest in eating bunny, they do stress them out.

My two were out in the garden as per normal when a cat unexpectedly jumped over our gate. Never happened before and don't know who's it belonged to as never seen before. Luca and Bunnykin went crazy and took a while to get into their kennel at night which is unusual as they normally go straight in when called. It must have unsettled them but fortunately thats the only time I've had a problem. Because ours have their own burrow in the garden they go out when we are in the house and so are not directly supervised all the time.

Having said that I would definately recommend supervised free range bunnies as definately they are happiest like this!!

They never free range. Mainly because the garden is a tip and too dangerous, even supervised.

I'm hoping to build a 7ft x 16ft aviary type set up this year, it's the next best thing to free ranging. I'd also like to think I'll sort the garden in a way that would be safe in a year or two, it's cat proofed outside-to-in so fairly bunny proof, except not Tink proof :lol::lol:

Strawberry free ranges at my Mums, they are often in and out of the garden though and have the patio doors open to keep an eye on him.

Bungle is out on our yard now and we have the back door open so he can come in if he needs to. He isnt supervised but I am in the house.

I would have them free range on a garden unsupervised for very short periods of time and only when I am in the house with doors/windows open so I can hear.

I let mine free range when I'm at home ( obviously not all at once :lol:) so that I can check on them while theyre out and about!

yes, my garden is fully secured so they always free range every day, all day. I only own a run for the piggies! :wave:

yes, my garden is fully secured so they always free range every day, all day. I only own a run for the piggies! :wave:

:wave: thanks everyone - when you say fully secured is that so the buns cant get out or cats etc cant get in - or both?

Mine free range supervised on the patio. It's bunny-proofed so they can't get out but cats can get in over the fence (and my cats are usually out there as well) so I would never leave them unattended.

Charlie hates being outside :lol:
When I have tried to take him out I've had him on his harness (I know a lot of people don't like them but he is good on it and it was the only safe way to take him out) but he refuses to do anything anyway so I gave up :lol:

I let them 'free range' ie there is no run involved, but I bought some of those metal runs, and they form a circle around the area I want to keep them in.

they have had times unsupervised, but only for a few seconds when I go to the loo or for the camera etc, and it hasn't happened since the cats came

I let them out unsupervised. The cats in my neighbourhood have no desire to go anywhere near the buns. (But they are all smaller than Ted and Pixie! Haha!) I was a bit apprehensive at first but after some supervised time I decided that the cats posed no threat. They bypass our garden like the plague!

I let them out unsupervised. The cats in my neighbourhood have no desire to go anywhere near the buns. (But they are all smaller than Ted and Pixie! Haha!) I was a bit apprehensive at first but after some supervised time I decided that the cats posed no threat. They bypass our garden like the plague!

:lol::lol::lol: Can I borrow Ted and Pixie for a week so the cats round here get the message too!!

Never free range. Charlee is small (900-950g) and the yard is big - too many nooks and crannies for her to hide in. Plus we have a pool and it would only be too easy for her to slip between the bars and accidently fall in. :shock: And then there is the threat of birds, snakes, cats etc. The fencing around this place is very dodgy and we also have two dogs who need to be able to get out to go to the toilet etc. Whats most annoying though is the fact that I can't change anything (like put mesh on the pool gate or fix the fencing) because this is a rental - and the landlords don't even know about Charlee. :oops: So as a result Charlee is one hundred percent an indoor bunny! I would love to get her a pen but to get one big enough (and predator proof) is going to cost money that I don't have at the moment.

Yes Janak but I think you big and beautiful buns can handle themselves ;) :lol: I certainly wouldn't want to mess wiv 'em!

:lol::lol: mind you Libby, that is true!

:wave: thanks everyone - when you say fully secured is that so the buns cant get out or cats etc cant get in - or both?

The garden is fully fenced and they can't dig out thankfully, but we have never had a cat problem... we have a staffy who seems to be our natural cat deterrant! :lol: However, my bunnies are bigger than most (probably all!) cats!

No, never.

They have a large run and they can go out in that from dawn until dusk. I also have another run that can be added on in the evenings for extra space.

I would love to let them free range but we have a large, mature garden and it would be virtually impossible for us to bunny proof. My hope is that when I have my own house, I will be able to let them free range in a bunny proof garden when I am about.

Back