• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Flopsy hate me or love me??

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Flopsy is a very confident, stubborn rabbit and comes across as being very "butch". He's well built, beautiful and believes I am his human slave... but Ive just been up the garden to clean him and the others out (I read a thread on flystrike and have gone very paranoid) and put him in the run whilst I was doing his hutch. Once it was done, I did what I usually do and got in the run with him... we played and he binkied and then he decided he was going to start grunting and scratching, almost digging at my clothes and then biting me :( He climbed up onto my lap, put his paws on my shoulder and tried to bite me, which is something he's tried before but never so persistently. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? and whichever one it is, is there anyway to stop it, as he has actually bruised me already and put holes in my jeans :shock:

Just to add... he is neutered (done 6 weeks ago) and since then his behaviour is kind've worse. He still sprays me and his hutch, and HATES being handled (I can deal with the last part) He lives on his own as I'm to scared to even try bonding him with anyone else because he's just SO dominant, even towards humans :lol:

I don't think it's either. I think it's bossyness :) I would give him another week or two for his hormones to settle :) Also don't let his behaviour dictate yours. If he learns that you move if he nips, he'll nip next time he wants you to move. I would gently push him away from you if he is digging. The distract him with something else to do.

Thanks for your reply :) I read somewhere that rabbits can't distinguish between your normal voice and if you are telling them off, so there's not much point in me trying to raise my voice when he bites... he wouldn't listen anyway! I'll sit with him again later and see if he does the same... I feel a bit useless though, as I give him everything he needs and everything he wants for a happy life, and he bites me!! How does that work out?! :lol:
I just don't want him biting anyone else aswell. I know he sometimes scratches at other people if they're sat on the sofa, but I assumed that was just for attention.....

Thanks for your reply :) I read somewhere that rabbits can't distinguish between your normal voice and if you are telling them off

Mine can! Doesn't mean they listen though! :lol:

I reckon he's trying to assert his dominace over you. Tamsin's advice is good. It will take a while for his hormones to settle anyway - with Pickle-Pie it was at least 2 years before he calmed down! :shock:

Back