• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wooden Hutches OK indoors?

Hiya,

I've got 2 male rabbits which i've had for around 7/8 months now and love them to pieces. They've been living in a plastic large indoor cage in my lounge, but with my going to visit my mum alot i'm thinking of getting a second hutch and moving the plastic one to my mums so i can take them with me.

I'm thinking about getting a wooden hutch, as i've seen a fair few decent sized ones on sale...however, i'm not sure as to whether they will get too hot (theyve got quite thick fur..albeit shedding a fair bit atm!), in a wooden cage indoors?

Was thinking along the lines of something like this:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/primrose-den-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16034

not sure if that would be big enough for 2 fully grown males: ones a lionhead cross, the others a lop earred cross.

but just wondering if any of you guys had wooden hutches and whether they are alright for indoors!? - they would be going in my bedroom as of July.

any info appreciated thanks =)

Abbie

after reading about on a few of the other threads i'm looking into the dog pen / NIC cubes idea...certainly seems a little bit more open and alot more penny friendly! - what kind of floor would you recommend though? in general my boys toilet in their litter tray with the occasional mishap! but we have laminate flooring, which i wouldn't want them on all the time because they woudl slip... carpet? any ideas as to a base?

We have a NIC set up and wooden flooring.... I got them a little rug from IKEA as well which they love to sit on and are nice and cheap :) Laminate flooring will be good for any 'accidents' though and easy to clean, they are ok on laminate, but I would suggest a rug or two :)

Good luck.

Ps, I wouldnt personally have a hutch inside, I prefer NIC set ups.... more space and less dark but some people do have hutches inside so it is up to you.... also, if they pee'd on the wood that would make the room smell...!!

Back