• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

p@h rant

bambi2906

Warren Scout
okay so i went into p@h today to get some treat ums for my bunnies as annie is in serious moult anyway stupidly i went to the adoption centre bit and i burst out crying. in the tiny cage was an overweight beautiful grey bunny with a severe eye infection his fur was missing around his eye it was that bad :cry:
so i rang my mum and did the crying act to try and get her to let me bring him home she said no however im gonna work on her. anyway i went to the till to pay and asked what donation they wanted for him and the lady replied that they ask half of what they charge for there rabbits. well when i asked her what that was as i never buy animals at a pet shop she replied it was £27.50.

so if thats right then they must charge 55 for a rabbit which then made me think well if there roughly 6 rabbits in a litter and p@h are selling them for 55 then the litter is worth £330 to them. well say they give half of the 55 per rabbit to the person who breeds them then they get 165 per litter.
well no wonder people breed animals in such small cages and dirty accomendations and they breed so many its cause the amount of money they get for breeding them is crazy. :censored::evil:
i bet they just sit on there ass dont work and then take all this money fo selling ill and neglected rabbits.
obviously before anyone jumps on me there is breeders who do breed to a great standard but some dont as my aunts found out last week when they brought rabbits from p@h to find out that they had all caught ringworm of them.
anyway sorry about the rant i just never realized how much money people get form breeding rabbits.

I thought they charged about £27.50 for a rabbit :?

i dont know thats not what the women told me today when i asked how much it was she checked on the till and said it was half what they charge for there rabbits which would make it 27.50

i dont know then maybe she got confused and told me the wrong price :?
but i was so upset about the way this poor rabbit was that i didnt question the price

In my local p@h they charge £27.50 for a rabbit or £50 something for 2 rabbits!

Poor bun though! :cry::cry:

i know i feel so guilty about leaving it especially when a little girl went up and prodded the glass saying erhh this ones fat and and a eye infection :cry:

It is illegal to knowingly sell a sick animal. You need to complain politely and make sure they get the rabbit treated! (Do they have an instore vet?)

Before you let your heart rule your head do think of the possible problems this rabbit will have - a gunky eye could mean dental problems etc - all of which could be expensive to treat. :(

It is illegal to knowingly sell a sick animal. You need to complain politely and make sure they get the rabbit treated! (Do they have an instore vet?)

Before you let your heart rule your head do think of the possible problems this rabbit will have - a gunky eye could mean dental problems etc - all of which could be expensive to treat. :(

well it eye looked like it had been cleaned but it was furless and looked slightly gunky and weepy so i knew it still had an eye infection. it was severly overweight and looked sad which i know sounds stupid but it really did. it was ready to be sold from today onwards so i dont know if their vet or someone must had said it would be okay to sell. but if a little girl of 8 could walk up and say it had an eye infection then i dont know how the manager couldnt.

i know i shouldnt get it and as my mum said you cant save them all but he just looked so sad and he was given up at the age of three because its previous owner had said it was aggressive and need and experience owner i know its not going to sell as they has beautiful netherland dwarfs in which was attracting a lot of attention i feel so guilty for leaving it :(

I think she said half the price of a rabbit they sell, and when you said whats that then she took it
how I would and told you the full price...

As for the bun I would mention it to them, and about the legality of it

I think she said half the price of a rabbit they sell, and when you said whats that then she took it
how I would and told you the full price...

oh i didnt think of that. thats was probably what she meant then i was just trying to pull myself away from buying the rabbit and being in a lot of trouble when i got home

i know i feel so guilty about leaving it especially when a little girl went up and prodded the glass saying erhh this ones fat and and a eye infection :cry:

In my P@H they put the bunnies they are selling in a bigish enclosure with fencing round (they probably have this at all stores) and then rabbits for adoption in tiny glass cages, I just dont know why they think this is ok? Although its the Seapets near me that are worse really tiny glass cages with loads of lighting above! :evil::evil:

My chinese hamster came from the adoption centre at p@h. She looked ok but i wasn't sure about the red patch around her mouth (i've never had an hamster before). Any way i gave a donation and took her home,(you can give what you like at most stores you don't have to give half the cost. Anyway i got her settled in and within 24 hours this red patch had got bigger so i rang p@h up and the "manager" said she was fine. I didn't belive him so the next morning i took her to my vets turns out she has an abcess. I wrote a letter and complained like mad about her. I also sent a letter to HQ as this is unacceptable if people work in a pet store then they should know if an animal is sick.
Before adopting this poor bun i would get them to do a health check (they have to do this by law).After this is compleated you will get a better idea of what was wrong and know what your taking on.
I wish you the very best with getting the bun sorted.:)

its so annoying when some people who work in p@h think that they know if the animal is ill or not and what they say goes when you obviously know that theres something wrong with the animal.

I rehomed George's wifebun, Gemma, from the PAH adoption bit. I was only asked for a donation and gave £10. Now that she has munched her way through my lounge I can see why she was in there - but I love her anyway!

I went into PAH the week before last to get some cat food and there were two buns in the adoption bit. One had 'flu and was lying on its side under a wooden twig thing. The other was a dental bun. They had no buns for sale and the runs were all cleaned out.

When I paid for my cat food I asked if the bun with 'flu was OK and was told he had seen a vet and was OK but that he would have episodes of 'flu throughout his life. I asked what happened to these buns if they weren't homed. The guy was quite indignant and said they always sold - often much quicker than their own buns. I queried this saying I knew how much dental buns cost in vet bills having had this problem with my own buns in the past and he wouldn't have it - was adamant that the buns would get a home.

Given that rescues find it difficult to rehome dental buns I don't see how PAH can be so confident they will find homes for them.

I was lucky with Gemma. She is incredibly destructive but apart from that is a gorgeous bun and has made George very happy.

I think they generally look after the animals ok at PAH. I think the adoption rabbits have far too small an area though.

I know there was a post on here somewhere that said PAH claim to exercise the rabbits 'out the back' after the stores close, but I'm not sure how true or even practical that actually is.

This is the same thing that happened with lilly. She was a large rabbit in a tiny cage :(. No one wanted her and it was the second place she had been moved to in attept to *get rid* of her :(. P@h told us that she was definitely under 2. She had a large bald patch under her tum which i questioned and the staff looked at me as though i was stupid and said *its supposed to be like that* :eek:. Wheb we got her home we had her spayed. Only to find out that she was at least 5 and covered in tumors on her ovaried :(.

The lies they tell to make a bit of money.....

aww, my local pets at home used to seem quite good, but recently they have been bad at sexing all of the animals, and loads are being brought back and put in the adoption bit as they thoguht they were buying 2 of the same sex but werent :(

also not relevant to the thread but for rabbits my local ones charges £20 for one or £30 for a pair

I know Pets at Home aren't perfect BUT I have seen rabbits kept in far, far worse conditions in independant petshops!

Back