• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question About VHD Vaccination.

Hart

Young Bun
By buns had all their Myxi boosters last month. But at the time the vet said that the VHD booster wasn't absolutely necessary because they are indoor bunnies. Is this correct?
We live in a flat 3 stories up so they never venture outside. We also live in a city (Portsmouth to be exact). But are my bunnies at risk still? 2 of them will be about 1 1/2 - 2 months overdue for their VHD booster (was done mid march last year). Will they still be safe for the moment?

Also, completely off topic. My girl Missy hasn't been herself. She didn't seem to be eating yesterday and wasn't even interested in her fenugreek treats. Which she ALWAYS goes bonkers for unless somethings wrong.
We had this before not long ago and she was gassy. But no sign of that this time. Tummy feels normal and no obvious signs of anything which could be bothering her.
She is moulting an awful lot though, and it has been rather warm lately. So I've suspected a hairball of sorts, combined with the heat. Gave her pineapple juice yesterday, also infacol just incase. She started nibbling little bits of hay in the evening.
Made sure she got water in her too. Even at 4 in the morning.

This morning she had a bit of cucumber and celery which is promising! But still not interested in her treats at all. Nibbled a little bit more of hay. Also had a bit of apple!
So she seems to be eating a bit more. Have spotted some poops, be they a bit small. But she still doesn't seem her bouncy self.

So does this just seem like a 'hair ball'? Anything else I can do for her?

I'm so sorry for the long post! Thank you so much if you read it all!

Last edited:
Sorry I can't advise on either issue, but just hoping Missy is o.k Lots of vibes coming your way.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon x

By buns had all their Myxi boosters last month. But at the time the vet said that the VHD booster wasn't absolutely necessary because they are indoor bunnies. Is this correct?
We live in a flat 3 stories up so they never venture outside. We also live in a city (Portsmouth to be exact). But are my bunnies at risk still? 2 of them will be about 1 1/2 - 2 months overdue for their VHD booster (was done mid march last year). Will they still be safe for the moment?

Also, completely off topic. My girl Missy hasn't been herself. She didn't seem to be eating yesterday and wasn't even interested in her fenugreek treats. Which she ALWAYS goes bonkers for unless somethings wrong.
We has this before not long ago and she was gassy. But no sign of that this time. Tummy feels normal and no obvious signs of anything which could be bothering her.
She is moulting and awful lot though, and it has been rather warm lately. So I've suspected a hairball of sorts, combined with the heat. Gave her pineapple juice yesterday, also infacol just incase. She started nibbling little bits of hay in the evening.
Made sure she got water in her too. Even at 4 in the morning.

This morning she had a bit of cucumber and celery which is promising! But still not interested in her treats at all. Nibbled a little bit more of hay. Also had a bit of apple!
So she seems to be eating a bit more. Have spotted some poops, be they a bit small. But she still doesn't seem her bouncy self.

So does this just seem like a 'hair ball'? Anything else I can do for her?

I'm so sorry for the long post! Thank you so much if you read it all!

Even House Rabbits need vaccinating against VHD

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

If your Rabbit is not eating much and hardly passing any faeces she needs Veterinary attention, for pain relief if nothing else.

From Rabbit Rehome...

What is Viral Haemorrhagic Disease?

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (VHD) is a more recent disease that Myxomatosis, it was first reported in the UK in only 1992. It is spread through direct contact between rabbits and also through contaminated surfaces such as bedding, hutches and clothing. This means both indoor and outdoor rabbits are at risk.

It can survive for 3 months at room temperature. The incubation period is 1-3 days and death usually occurs 12-36 hours after the onset of fever.
Symptoms

Symptoms can include high fever, lethargy, collapse, convulsions, paralysis, breathing difficulties, loss of appetite and bleeding from the nose. In some cases (approx. 1 in 10) there are no visible symptoms. The rapidness of the disease means that the rabbit may die within 24 hours of noticeable symptoms.
Prevention - Vaccination

Vaccination is very successful, it can be done from 12-14 weeks of age. The vaccination is also safe for pregnant rabbits. A booster needs to be given ever 12 months to ensure continued protection.

Vaccination against Myxomatosis must not be done within 2 weeks of vaccination against VHD.

I added the bold bit lol. I think my vet said it could be carried in on shoes etc (?) so all rabbits are at risk. Given the seriousness of the illness for the sake of the cost of vaccinating (it's only yearly) I'd insist on getting them vaccinated tbh.

Sorry I can't advise on either issue, but just hoping Missy is o.k Lots of vibes coming your way.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon x

Thanks so much for the vibes <3 I'm worried at the moment as neither my partner or I are home with her :( I'm visiting my mum for her birthday and OH is at work. I hope she's okay! Coco had better be looking after her!

Can somebody please just give me an answer about whether they are safe for the moment even being overdue for VHD? Last one was in mid March last year.

I'll get their boosters asap this week.

VHD can be bought in as i think someones said above on your shoes, clothes etc... basically its an airborn virus, so if they are overdue then they need to have the shot asap really as untill they do they wont be protected against it.

If she's not 100% best to hold off on the vacc for a few days. There isn't an exact cut off date for vaccs, it won't immediately stop working exactly 365 days post jab, it just means the manufactures have only tested to 12 months. I wouldn't panic a week or two overdue as VHD is less prevalent than myxi.

Back