• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lilly's claw just ripped out :(

xkaytix

Warren Scout
I just picked Lilly up to put her in her bigger day time run. She started to kick so I held onto her tightly to stop her from falling or hurting herself. She must have caught her nail in my top because when I put her down there was blood on the floor :(. I then found her nail. I have rang an emergency vet and they have said that it will look bad but it isn't as bad as it may seem. They have said just to keep an eye on her and the bleeding will clot.

I have given her some painkiller and she is hopping round fine.

Anything else I can do? I'm such a paranoid bunny owner :(. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

I wouldnt worry about it, Rimmi did that MONTHS ago.... he leapt at my OH to get on his lap but misjudged the jump and got his claw caught in the USB port in the laptop :shock: There was lots of blood, I rang the vet and was told just to try and stop the bleeding and keep him calm. He limped for a day afterwards and then was fine.... its only just growing back now!! I wouldnt give her too much pain killer, she needs to be able to feel that it hurts so she doesnt try and hop around on it too much and make it bleed again.

I'd also put her in sterile environment where dirt isnt going to get into the wound.

I did try to ring you but my phone wouldn't get signal :(. I gave her a tiny bit just to stop her from being in too much pain. She seems fine in herself. These rabbits are trying to give me a heart attack I think!

We gave her metacam which is what the emergency vet told us to give her. Just glad we had some here. Otherwise I would be running around like a mad woman :shock:

Marnie managed to break her nail downto the quik. God know how but it looked horrific.
When I was at Kris we were clipping some of the buns nails and one of them wriggled so she caught the quick.......it looked like we'd butchered something in the kitchen :shock: I had to borrow clotnes and then go buy some more it was so bad!
Don't worry about it too much...as long as you keep an eye on it everything should be fine :wave:

It was horrible when Rimmi broke his... I was covered in Rimmi blood... that was before we got Winter.... thankfully, hes fine, although his claw has taken AGES to grow back, and its grown back a but funny.....

This is what its like... it has a bit of a 'bulb' on the end, and isnt long enough to trim yet, he ripped his out in like Novemeber.... AGES ago!! Lol

IMG_0187.jpg

sorry, but that is just a totally blatant excuse to get your camera out! :shock: :lol::lol::lol:
Should be ok on the metacam then, but yeah dont dose too much so she's gentle on it!
Love your siggy btw!

Only a tiny weeeeeeeeeny bit.

Thanks for all of your advice. I don't know what I'd do without you all! I'd be madder than I already am :).

She's back in her hutch again now. It bled again when she went back in but not loads. I've put just newspaper in her hutch now so that the wound stays clean.

Think I better go and apologise to her AGAIN :oops:

Only a tiny weeeeeeeeeny bit.

Thanks for all of your advice. I don't know what I'd do without you all! I'd be madder than I already am :).

She's back in her hutch again now. It bled again when she went back in but not loads. I've put just newspaper in her hutch now so that the wound stays clean.

Think I better go and apologise to her AGAIN :oops:

Lol, good idea to use newspaper and not shavings or anything, you dont want anything getting stuck to the wound because it would bleed when you pulled it off again. Buns are SUCH a worry!!!! :shock:

Luckily, Rimmi is an indoor bun, and we have wooden floors, which were clean, so we didnt have to take any special measures with him other than take his rug away (he has a green IKEA round rug.... they both love to sit on it and it gets filthy in hours... I dont know how!!)

Lol :)

Lilly was not impressed that she had nothing to flick when she got back into her hutch. We use something called auboise (SP?) now as Alice recommended it :). Megazorb was too dusty :(.

I've got work in a minute...... High ho high ho it's off to work I go........

Lilly was not impressed that she had nothing to flick when she got back into her hutch. We use something called auboise (SP?) now as Alice recommended it :). Megazorb was too dusty :(.

I've got work in a minute...... High ho high ho it's off to work I go........

Oh, that stuff we put in with the hamsters? That stuff is lush :p Still could stick to her badie though

Yeah going to leave just the newspaper in there just for the next few days at least. What should I do about her bed area though?

Yeah going to leave just the newspaper in there just for the next few days at least. What should I do about her bed area though?

Old towels? :) Shredded newspaper maybe??

I found when my Tipsy bun had abscesses, bathroom matts were the best thing, they were heavier so she couldnt move them and she didnt chew them either. :) Plus, the fabric bits are shorted and less loose than on towels.

Mischa did that to me. I didn't have much bunny knowledge then and googled and came up with flour. Tapped some in a bowl and put his foot in there. Stopped the bleeding pretty quick. Another time though I cut them too short :oops: and the flour didn't work so it depends on how much bleeding there is.

Mischa did that to me. I didn't have much bunny knowledge then and googled and came up with flour. Tapped some in a bowl and put his foot in there. Stopped the bleeding pretty quick. Another time though I cut them too short :oops: and the flour didn't work so it depends on how much bleeding there is.

Wow, I have never heard of flour, lol! Cool tip :p

Back