• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on upper lip

Arcana

New Kit
We've only had this rabbit for 1 week now and have just noticed this bald patch. It's hard to see when you always see her from the top down.

I read someone recommended Sudocream on this site, so I got it - applied it and then realised that you are not supposed to have it in your mouth. And of course she licked it off like it was chocolate (or should that be carrot :lol:).

It's a bit annoying cause she probably had that when we got her. She's only 9 weeks old. Marks from scratching from fleas? Infection? Dental problems? Some form of eczema?

Sorry about the large picture - I've even made it 1/2 the size already.
What could this be?

chelsea.jpg

Is there any sign of a crusty lump forming? If so, could be vent disease (syphillis).

Also, check her private parts for the same lumps.

I agree, a rabbit savvy vet trip is in order - post for a recommendation in your area if necessary (unfortunatley not all vets are that familiar with rabbits). Is that something in her ear too?

Thanks. Couldn't see a crusty lump anywhere.

I'll probably use the same vet we just brought our new puppy to earlier this week. I do wonder if she could have got fleas from the puppy cause I think the puppy has that. So I've sprayed her a bit with some flea spray.

I wonder if it's worth getting insurance? Probably too late now to get her covered from this - but I somehow also think that most vet trips will cost under £50 and therefore fall under the excess fee, in which case it might just be better to make a bunny savings account?

:shock: What flea spray did you use? Some can be really harmful to buns. You should only use one that a rabbit savvy vet recommends. Don't spray her again.

Do you know if the vet for your new puppy is rabbit savvy? Rabbits are "exotic pets" and require specific knowledge :waves:

Good luck at the vets, and let us know what it is. :)

Hi there, from my experience it looks very much like rabbit syphillus (treponema
infection). I have sucessfully treated this with depocillin injections once weekly
for 6 weeks. If you want any more info to pass on to your vet, feel free to PM me. :wave:

I agree it looks like the start of syphillis; at her age it's likely that she picked it up from her mum at birth. It should be fairly easy to cure but will need trips to the vet for penicillin injections. It is hugely infectious though so if you have any other rabbits that have been in any contact (e.g. sniffing through cages) then they may also need to be treated.

awww bless

when wed had our rabbit a wk, she went bald above her eye, I took her to the vet and she said mange, gave me some frontline and within 2 wks her fur was growing back :)

hope you get it sorted :)

Thanks for all the replies. I've got an appointment with a vet tonight so lets see how that works out.
We have another rabbit and they live in the same space so if it's syphillis and it's highly contagious I suppose the other rabbit will surely have it as well by now. They've been toghether for just over 2 weeks now.

Should have taken out insurance. I guess it's too late now?

Back