• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any1 feed their bun w/ hay stem that is really big, 4 mm in diameter?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Let's say regular timothy hay stem is approx. the size of the graphite of a pencil, so about 1.5 to 2 mm in diameter.

A few years ago, we have a farmer who has an "old field", vs. a new 1, and the stem of the hay is very big, say 4 mm in diameter.

Has any1 feed their buns w/ this kind of big stem hay?

Would they like the big stem 4 mm diameter hay? Or would it be too big for them? My buns are just a few pounds, they are regular size bun

The hay I feed has a high proportion of very thick stemmed timothy - not the green 1st cut or a soft blade but a circular tough golden stem - and the buns love it as much as they do the softer thinner blades of 1st cut timothy, green oat hay or clover and meadow fescue. The really tough stuff mine eat is easily 4mm in diameter and is great for motility. :)

I really desperately want to buy some thick stalky Timothy Hay but just cannot justify paying £7.99 for a small 3kg bale when my pair might just stick their noses up to it and not eat it. :? They don't eat any hay at all only grass!

Its only because it smells GORGEOUS :oops:

Thanks every1. If my usual supplier have it, I'll get it. The hay last year is not so great, due to a lack of rain, but 2 bale of hay last me the whole year this year.

Last yr., I bought 1 bale, and need to buy extra hay at the pet shops, the price of a small bag cost me more than the entire 65 lb. bale of hay.

Back