• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible problem with wee, advice wanted

stampz

Warren Scout
Morning all,

Hoping someone can help me out here. We have a very happily bonded foursome outside, and all are eating and drinking the same amount as each other (as far as I can tell). They all seem perfectly normal, no sulking everyone running around and binkying....however....

A couple of weeks ago we notice some dark rusty coloured wee in the corner of the run, checked the litter tray and there was also some in there, and now we have started to notice some very white wee (almost tipex colour) in the run as well. It does not seem to be sludgy....

They have a fairly normal and what I consider healthy diet...egg cup of pellets once, sometimes twice a day, unlimited hay, and spring greens 2 or 3 evenings a week. They do have free run of the garden for 1 or 2 hours a day, and are always muncing away on the grass during this time.

I am looking for two bits of advice really, firstly how much of a problem is this, as I know rabbits wee can vary in colour greatly...and secondly how do people go about diognosing which bun in a group is the one with the problem, we try watching them, but they refuse to wee on command :) I dont want to split them up and monitor them seperatly for fear of breaking the bond.

I would guess that it is the grass causing the rusty coloured wee. Some Rabbits react more than others as far as wee changing colour goes.

You could check under the tail/around the 'wee outlet bits' of everyBun. Sometimes the fur can be a bit brown stained if urine is 'rusty' most of the time.

Dandelion leaves really cause rusty wee so if the Buns have access to any they too will add to the issue.

I would guess that it is the grass causing the rusty coloured wee. Some Rabbits react more than others as far as wee changing colour goes.

You could check under the tail/around the 'wee outlet bits' of everyBun. Sometimes the fur can be a bit brown stained if urine is 'rusty' most of the time.

Dandelion leaves really cause rusty wee so if the Buns have access to any they too will add to the issue.

I check their under carriages, but nothing looks out of the ordinary :-( Also no dandelions in the garden.

They are all still eating and acting as normal, all seem perfectly happy, but still rusty coloured and white coloured wee keeps appearing :(

Back