• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Mitzy's made a nest - What do I do?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

Wonder if you can help, the rabbit I'm looking after for a bit has made a nest in the hutch ..... is this normal?? Is she having a phantom pregnancy??

She seems ok in herself but she's made a nest in the sleeping area and has been using her fur to line it.

Its clean out day today .... am I best just leaving it or getting rid of it?? Will it upset her either way? If I'm best leaving it ... how long do I leave it for??

She's not sleeping in the nest she sleeps at the side of it and I'm pretty sure there's no way she can be pregnant (she's been with us for about a month now and has had no contact with any other animals) ......... I really don't know what to do for the best.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, Jo

If she isnt spayed she is probably just hormonal and having as you say a phantom.

Is there any possibility she could be pregnant do you know?

my jasmine did this on friday! shes now distroyed it! i panicked the same but she was fine still a bit grumpy but ok.

:wave:

Thanks for your replies. I don't think she can be pregnant as she arrived with us with her hutch and run, the previous owners said she was always in the run - never just out and about on her own.

She's a bit grumpy, not as friendly as usual but other than that seems ok.

I've left the nest where it is for now, I don't want to damage her psychologically if she thinks she's having babies and I've wrecked her nest!

I'll leave it for the time being and hopefully she'll sort it herself.

Poor little thing!

Jo

I don't mean to scare you but, if she's unspeyed, you don't know the full details of her past, and you've had her around a month and she's started nesting, I would keep an open mind. Just keep checking for the next few days and if it's a phantom she will most probably dismantle it herself.

Hope everything works out ok!

I don't mean to scare you but, if she's unspeyed, you don't know the full details of her past, and you've had her around a month and she's started nesting, I would keep an open mind. Just keep checking for the next few days and if it's a phantom she will most probably dismantle it herself.

Hope everything works out ok!

True, a rabbit I rehomed did this and had been booked for a spay but 4 days before I found 5 kits :shock: Hopefully a phantom ...

if hormonal

Our first rabbit used to do this occasionally until she had a husbun. In those days we didn't know how important partnership would be to her. She was very territorial about her bedroom, so we left it be and cleaned the rest of the hutch. When she was 15 months old we rescued a young buck, and she stopped the nesting from then on. I guess if this isn't your own rabbit, you don't have that option!

I keep checking the nest, no signs yet ..... any idea how soon before giving birth they make the nest? (just in case)!

She's leaving us just after the bank holiday and is going to live with my step-daughter so I'll make sure she has her 'done' and then maybe gets her a friend.

If she wasn't going so soon I'd book her in myself but I just think the trauma of having that done and then moving pretty soon afterwards would be too much for her. Poor thing.

Jo

Loppy has been nesting as well [again :roll:] but there will definitely be no babies as he's a neutered buck!!!!

Back