• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandilions

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
Theres loads of dandilions about at the mo, so like a mad woman when im walking Beau I stop and fill my pockets, when I get chance I want to take a bag and fill it...how do I dry them so they keep cos I know buns cant have too many

I've heard that putting them in a bag in the tumble dryer works well, but it's not something I've done.

Spread them out on a baking sheet - so they are only one leaf deep - you may need to do several batches, and bake them in the oven at 50 degrees for a couple of hours until they are dry and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool and then bag up in brown paper bags - so that they can breathe and not get mouldy. :):wave:

I have loads in my garden atm as we have just moved and thats next on our list of to dos.

I want to give them to our buns but I'm worried about other animals that might come through the garden? Cats definitely do, not sure about foxes etc but I haven't seen many traces.

Are these okay to give after being washed? Sorry to ask on your thread HappyBunny :oops:

I get sackfuls of these each year for the buns and tortoise.

They're really easy to dry. I pull them with the root intact and then hand them on the washing line in the garage for a week to ten days, then move them into wicker baskets until completely dry. I usually get a good enough supply of dried ones to see me through to November

If you are picking them outside, ie not from your garden, do you need to wash them before starting the drying process?

Back